Author Topic: So what does Gen. MacArthur have to say about those who would scrap 'duty. honor, country'?  (Read 253 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
March 16, 2024
So what does Gen. MacArthur have to say about those who would scrap 'duty. honor, country'?
By James Poplar

By now I suspect many of you have heard that Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s call to the Corps of cadets in 1962 has been banished from the United States Military Academies (USMA) mission statement and exchanged for the more amorphous phase “Army Values.”

The new mission statement, according to a news release from the academy, is: “To build, educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets to be commissioned leaders of character committed to the Army Values and ready for a lifetime of professional excellence and service to the Army and Nation.”

In a message to “West Point Teammates,” the Superintendent of the USMA “Supe” Gilland addressed the reason for the change. “Duty, Honor, Country is foundational to the United States Military Academy’s culture and will always remain our motto,” he wrote. “It defines who we are as an institution and as graduates of West Point.”

Gilland went on to recount that the academy had engaged in an 18-month review of its purpose and strategy, working with West Point leaders and stakeholders. It then recommended the mission statement change to the Army’s top leadership. He noted that both Secretary of the Army Christine Wormuth and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Randy George approved the change. Gilland argued that Army values “include Duty and Honor and Country.”

Although I am not a graduate of West Point, I am a thirty-four-year member of the Profession of Arms and a graduate of the United States Army War College, I find this quite disturbing for a number of reasons.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/03/so_what_does_gen_macarthur_have_to_say_about_those_who_would_scrap_duty_honor_country.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson