Author Topic: Nearly 200 cancer cases surface among missileers in Air Force study  (Read 150 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nearly 200 cancer cases surface among missileers in Air Force study
By Courtney Mabeus-Brown
 Wednesday, Mar 13

Early data in a sweeping study of potential cancers in the Air Force’s nuclear missile community revealed fewer cases of most forms of the disease than expected, the service said Wednesday. But it cautioned a deeper dive is necessary before drawing any conclusions.

The first phase of the Air Force’s analysis, which analyzed the electronic medical records of more than 2.2 million airmen who were treated at military medical facilities from 2001 to 2021, revealed 198 cancer cases among the missile community and 5,063 cases across the Air Force at large, according to data provided to reporters in early March.

Officials had expected to find a total of 800 cancer cases among the missile community, according to an Air Force memo written by Col. Tory Woodard, commander of the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine, which is running the study.

Based on National Cancer Institute data, officials expected to find 81 instances of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but instead found 23. Their findings suggested only two cancers, breast and prostate, could be disproportionately affecting the missile community, at 13 and 24 cases, respectively. Those working on the study had expected to find 13 cases of breast cancer and 19 diagnoses of prostate cancer.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2024/03/13/nearly-200-cancer-cases-surface-among-missileers-in-air-force-study/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Nearly 200 cancer cases surface among missileers in Air Force study
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 02:25:27 pm »
Not too long ago, the cancer would have been "diagnosed" as COVID. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson