Author Topic: NPR podcast argues 'thinness' a product of 'White supremacy and patriarchy'  (Read 415 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NPR podcast argues 'thinness' a product of 'White supremacy and patriarchy'

The World Obesity Federation predicted that over half of the population will be overweight or obese in twelve years
By Lindsay Kornick Fox News
Published April 27, 2023 5:00am EDT

NPR podcast guest claims thinness a byproduct of White Supremacy
A guest on NPRs "Fresh Air" podcast Tuesday explained that the obsession with thinness in our culture emerged from structures used to maintain White Supremacy.

"Fat Talk" author and journalist Virginia Sole-Smith asserted that the "thin ideal" is a byproduct of White supremacy and the patriarchy while appearing on NPR’s "Fresh Air" podcast.

Sole-Smith spoke with NPR journalist Tanya Moseley on the podcast Tuesday to discuss her new book as well as obesity issues throughout the country. During the discussion, Sole-Smith linked "thin privilege" could be comparable to "White privilege."

"Thin privilege is a concept that I think is tricky to get our heads around, because if you have it, you don't really see how much you have it. I mean, it's a lot like White privilege in that way because you don't see how much it's benefiting you," Sole-Smith said.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/npr-podcast-argues-thinness-product-white-supremacy-patriarchy
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online LMAO

What’s not an example of white supremacy today
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Fat little Heifer isn't she.     
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online yodaspock

and ugly!

Online LMAO

We’re being told that we must accept all behaviors, regardless of their consequences or their destructiveness

Obesity, is linked to many medical problems. Those don’t go away just because this guest comes up with a cockamamie theory
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

From the article…

Thin privilege is a concept that I think is tricky to get our heads around, because if you have it, you don't really see how much you have it. I mean, it's a lot like White privilege in that way because you don't see how much it's benefiting you," Sole-Smith said.

In other words, she is admitting that this is a concept that she just came up with on her own

Barry Goldwater

Offline andy58-in-nh

"Thinness" is often the product of good human nutritional habits, including diet and exercise.

Sometimes though it is the result of starvation, which is itself frequently caused by bad economic systems and informed by the same logical fallacies that produce such idiotic notions as "white privilege".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn