Author Topic: Chicago to begin evicting migrants from shelters Sunday  (Read 241 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chicago to begin evicting migrants from shelters Sunday
« on: March 16, 2024, 10:37:13 am »
Chicago to begin evicting migrants from shelters Sunday
© Provided by NBC News

Chicago will move forward Sunday with its previously delayed plan to evict thousands of migrants from city and state-operated shelters, a move that has been met with outrage by advocates and some local elected officials, and with confusion by migrants who will have to scramble to find other housing.

City officials said Friday that 2,026 people will be evicted from their current shelters by the end of April. The first of those — 35 people — will have to move out Sunday. Overall, 244 migrants will be evicted by the end of the month and the remaining 1,782 will leave throughout the month of April.

The mass eviction is starting months after the city announced in November that it would limit shelter stays to 60 days and require migrants who reached that limit to find other housing or go back to the city’s “landing zone” for newly arrived migrants and request placement at another shelter. The city has postponed the policy three times due to extreme winter weather, staffing concerns and backlash from advocates and some elected officials.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/chicago-to-begin-evicting-migrants-from-shelters-sunday/ar-BB1jYBxZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=0793b02e93f346f6b9570fc2d58acc51&ei=59
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Chicago to begin evicting migrants from shelters Sunday
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 10:38:14 am »
Is the National Guard on high alert? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson