Author Topic: Toronto police advise locals to leave car keys near front doors to avoid confrontations with violent  (Read 402 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Toronto police advise locals to leave car keys near front doors to avoid confrontations with violent thieves
'Home invasions and break and enters for auto theft occurrences rose 400 percent in 2023,' police say
 By Gabriel Hays Fox News
Published March 15, 2024 8:06am EDT

As car thefts have spiked in Toronto, local police are prescribing new safety measures so that locals can avoid violent encounters with thieves.

One of the recent bits of advice included Toronto Police telling residents of the town of Etobicoke to leave their car key fobs near the door to avoid being attacked in their homes by potential burglars.

According to police, the number of car thefts in the city has more than doubled in recent years. In 2023, more than 12,000 vehicles were reported stolen. In 2019, just over 5,000 were reported stolen.

Thieves have begun breaking into houses to steal keys in order to steal cars, prompting controversial prevention advice from Toronto Police Constable Marco Ricciardi at an Etobicoke town hall last month, according to City News.

During the town hall, Ricciardi advised that residents leave their car keys near the front doors of their houses so that they do not have to confront violent criminals, who he noted often have "real guns."

He said at the Feb. 27 meeting, "To prevent the possibility of being attacked in your home, leave your FOBs at your front door. Because they’re breaking into your home to steal your car. They don’t want anything else."

"A lot of them that they’re arresting have guns on them. And they’re not toy guns, they’re real guns. They’re loaded," he added.

Toronto Police sent out a memo clarifying these comments on Wednesday. The memo, published on the official Toronto Police Service website, also provided additional "Home Invasion Prevention Tips."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/toronto-police-advise-locals-leave-car-keys-front-doors-avoid-confrontation-violent-thieves
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

That's goofy. Why didn't they advise putting a sign on their vehicle saying "Please take my car...the keys are by the door".

There is no foolproof way to stop theft...but you can make it harder. jmho

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

How about a more secure front door and better locks?

Instead the police are advising people to aid the thieves?

WTF?  Are the cops in cahoots?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I always thought the people of Canada were sensible people. I even knew a few Canadians that came to the US and enlisted in the US Army so they could go fight communism.

WTH happened?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How about a more secure front door and better locks?

Instead the police are advising people to aid the thieves?

WTF?  Are the cops in cahoots?

@Smokin Joe

I don't know,but I  am GUESSING that the leftists that have taken over Canada have ordered the Canadian police to ignore crimes by illegal aliens if at all possible,so the po po are urging people to become surrender monkeys to keep the causality  level down.

I guess I am just not as "civilized" as the Canadians. I catch somebody stealing my car,I am going to blowing holes through them while shouting "SCORE!".

Then again,I am old and don't have that many days left to worry  about serving time. It would probably be different if I had a wife and a couple of young kids to look after.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!