Author Topic: Navy Chasing North Star of 75 Available Surface Ships  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Chasing North Star of 75 Available Surface Ships
« on: March 14, 2024, 02:03:48 pm »
Navy Chasing North Star of 75 Available Surface Ships
3/14/2024
By Sean Carberry   

USS Manchester and Formidable-class stealth frigate RSS Tenacious (right)
Navy photo

While the Navy, Defense Department and Congress continue to debate how many ships the Navy needs — with assessments ranging from some 290 to 380 manned ships — the service has set a “North Star” of always having 75 of its surface vessels mission-ready.

Yet reaching even that target is a tall order for a service struggling with shortages of spare parts, maintenance capacity and people.

During a January 2023 call with reporters, then-Commander of Naval Surface Forces and Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet Vice Adm. Roy Kitchener outlined the roughly two-year initiative, which would ensure a little less than half the Navy’s 165 surface ships — destroyers, cruisers, littoral combat ships, counter-mine ships and various amphibious ships — are maintained and manned for deployment.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/3/14/navy-chasing-north-star-of-75-available-surface-ships
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Navy Chasing North Star of 75 Available Surface Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 02:07:59 pm »
Wow!!!  The Navy wants about 1/4 of it's surface ships always ready!  What an ambitious goal!   
 *****rollingeyes***** And how many aircraft does it want available?  How many submarines?  The Marines don't worry about tanks anymore!  The new CNO really has them rocking, doesn't she? :thud:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 02:09:08 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson