Author Topic: Canada’s descent into tyranny is almost complete  (Read 1010 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Canada’s descent into tyranny is almost complete
« on: March 14, 2024, 10:33:28 am »
Canada’s descent into tyranny is almost complete
Story by David Collins • 23h •

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is threatening his most tyrannical attack on freedom yet through his government’s proposed Online Harms Act (currently Bill C-63). Brought to you by the same farcically-named “Liberal” party who froze the bank accounts of the truckers who protested vaccine-mandates, the OHA is the government’s overzealous attempt to promote online safety.

The proposed legislation supposedly achieves this by requiring operators of social media services to adequately mitigate the risk that their users will be exposed to harmful content through measures such as publishing standards of online conduct, providing blocking tools and ways to flag and label harmful content. The OHA would create a Digital Safety Commission to administer and enforce its rules along with a Digital Safety Office to support social media users and advocate for online safety. These agencies can investigate complaints, summon people to testify in hearings and to produce records. Costs of all this will be paid by unspecified charges on social media platforms, presumably contemplating Canada’s planned Digital Services Tax on big tech platforms.

Most controversially, the OHA’s provisions on posting hateful content would require amendments to Canada’s Criminal Code as well as its Human Rights Act. While the victims of online “hate” may be comforted by tough new penalties, the changes are radical, particularly a new hate crime offence which can lead to life imprisonment. Worryingly, the criminal provisions of the OHA would give judges the ability to put people under house arrest because they might commit a hate crime in the future. The potential criminal could also be made to wear an electronic tag if the Attorney General requests it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-s-descent-into-tyranny-is-almost-complete/ar-BB1jOEO0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=375ae472a2824c89b3ac0f29cd3b1939&ei=54
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Canada’s descent into tyranny is almost complete
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 10:35:06 am »
It won't be long before Canadians will add to the illegal alien hordes. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 09:08:52 pm »
ranger wrote:
"It won't be long before Canadians will add to the illegal alien hordes"

Fishrrman "it's just around the bend" prediction:
Canada will eventually break up when the USA does.
Look for the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta (along with the Northwest/Yukon territories) to "join up" with the new "Heartland Republic" to the South...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:21:20 pm »
 ////00000////

Is posting "Disco sucks!" a hate crime?  Surely, hating disco, or anything else for that matter, can't be permitted in the Great White North, eh.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 09:49:23 pm »
Where's a mile high ice sheet when you need it?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 10:31:53 pm »
Where's a mile high ice sheet when you need it?
Living the dream in Greenland or Antarctica.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 10:33:59 pm »
ranger wrote:
"It won't be long before Canadians will add to the illegal alien hordes"

Fishrrman "it's just around the bend" prediction:
Canada will eventually break up when the USA does.
Look for the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta (along with the Northwest/Yukon territories) to "join up" with the new "Heartland Republic" to the South...
From Hudson's Bay to the Bay of Campeche, from the Sierras to the Appalachians, call it America and let the rest find a new name..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 04:38:43 am »
////00000////

Is posting "Disco sucks!" a hate crime?  Surely, hating disco, or anything else for that matter, can't be permitted in the Great White North, eh.

Something tells me that Trudeau is a huge fan of disco.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 06:03:31 am »
Trudeau’s approval rating is in the low 30s, but he would still win re-election.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 06:08:57 am »
Something tells me that Trudeau is a huge fan of disco.
Well I'd say ya got three of the letters right :whistle:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 12:05:43 pm »
Trudeau’s approval rating is in the low 30s, but he would still win re-election.

He needs more organized opposition to run against him
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy