Author Topic: Retail giant wants out of MTA transit center lease, blames NYC crime for scaring away tenants  (Read 451 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Retail giant wants out of MTA transit center lease, blames NYC crime for scaring away tenants

By Social Links forGeorgett Roberts , Social Links forNolan Hicks and Social Links forSteve Janoski
Published March 12, 2024
Updated March 12, 2024, 6:24 p.m. ET
The retail giant that runs the Fulton Transit Center in Lower Manhattan wants out of its deal with the MTA, blaming crime for scaring tenants away from the shopping space.

Westfield Fulton Center claims the subway hub has been overrun by homeless people, street hustlers and vandalism because of a lack of adequate security, according to court papers — as one shop manager told The Post even a tip jar was stolen multiple times.

Assaults and employee intimidation have become increasingly common at the glass-and-steel building on the corner of Fulton Street and Broadway, which the MTA initially pitched as comparable in stature to Rockefeller Center or Grand Central Station, the company claimed.

The retail giant that runs the Fulton Transit Center in Lower Manhattan wants out of its management lease — and it’s citing crime and a dispute over construction fees as the reasons why.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/12/us-news/retail-giant-wants-out-of-mta-transit-center-lease-blames-crime-for-scaring-away-tenants/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 03:03:37 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson