Author Topic: House easily passes bill that could ban TikTok  (Read 1794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House easily passes bill that could ban TikTok
« on: March 13, 2024, 02:57:32 pm »
 House easily passes bill that could ban TikTok
by Rebecca Klar - 03/13/24 10:38 AM ET

The House passed a bill that could ban TikTok in a 352-65 vote Wednesday, putting the spotlight on the Senate on how to handle the controversial legislation that has support from President Biden.

One lawmaker voted present.

The Protecting Americans From Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act would force ByteDance, TikTok’s China-based parent company, to divest the app within roughly five months of going into effect, or be banned from U.S. app stores and web hosting services.

The bill passed quickly through the House in a floor vote scheduled less than a week after it was first introduced by Reps. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) and Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-Ill.), the top lawmakers on the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party.

House Republicans invoked a special rule for the vote that required two-thirds majority to pass — rather than the simple majority needed for most House bills — to expedite the process.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4528594-house-passes-bill-that-could-ban-tiktok/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

Re: House easily passes bill that could ban TikTok
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 03:29:40 pm »
Careful now... Censorship.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 03:38:18 pm »

I think they are trying to ban foreign entities from having control.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 03:39:34 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 03:48:52 pm »
I think they are trying to ban foreign entities from having control.

I get that... But that is in fact, censorship. Jussayin.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 04:16:57 pm »
Whenever something is done with this big a consensus, and in such a rush, I start having doubts. This is a slippery slope, and it opens the door to a lot of other potential usurpations of freedom. I don't have a Tik Tok account. One reason I don't is that I don't want to share what I do with the Chinese government. But isn't that something I should decide? Why must the federal government decide it for me? And why provoke the Chinese, who are very likely to escalate their own regulations on our tech companies in China? It's almost as if our politicians WANT a new cold war with China and Russia. Oh, wait.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 04:20:55 pm »
Good...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 05:29:53 pm »
Whenever something is done with this big a consensus, and in such a rush, I start having doubts. This is a slippery slope, and it opens the door to a lot of other potential usurpations of freedom. I don't have a Tik Tok account.

That's it. Precedent.

I don't care at all about social media. This forum is as close as I get.
But censorship requires a decider. Establishing a decider leads to more decisions.
Jussayin.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 07:41:24 pm »
That's it. Precedent.

I don't care at all about social media. This forum is as close as I get.
But censorship requires a decider. Establishing a decider leads to more decisions.
Jussayin.

The problem is the youth in this country are being indoctrinated with garbage.

The next thing that should be banned is smart phones for children under 18. Let them have flip phones, with no texting.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 08:07:52 pm »

The next thing that should be banned is smart phones for children under 18. Let them have flip phones, with no texting.

This will not ban Tik Tok. It will just regulate who can own it. The garbage will continue unabated.

To me, the only thing worse than the garbage is big government trying to regulate free speech in the name of playing garbage collector.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 09:18:43 pm »

Couldn't agree more in sentiment - Both are nearly without purpose.
But I would be against you in practice.

Once censorship is enshrined, it will only grow.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 09:23:25 pm »
This will not ban Tik Tok. It will just regulate who can own it. The garbage will continue unabated.

To me, the only thing worse than the garbage is big government trying to regulate free speech in the name of playing garbage collector.

@massadvj

BINGO!

And we have a winna!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 09:32:42 pm »
Does free speech include the Chinese Communist Party's trojan horse application on our "smart" phones?

////00000////

At least the Chi-coms are free to purchase land next to American military installations and float spy balloons over America at will.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 10:03:54 pm »
Mike Lee
@BasedMikeLee
TikTok has its problems.
The bill passed by the House is a mess.
I won’t vote for it.
2:41 PM · Mar 13, 2024

Mike Lee
@SenMikeLee
I’m open to legislation preventing the CCP from using TikTok to collect our data. But not this bill.
Always be suspicious when anyone in Washington declares they need special powers because of an emergency—especially if both parties are cheerleading it.
2:30 PM · Mar 13, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 10:22:42 pm »
Rep. David Schweikert spoke against the TikTok bill today, noting that personal data is a private property right belonging to each American.
He then explained why this ban on TikTok won't protect your data from bad actors.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1767994190682603875

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 11:00:46 pm »
Sean Davis
@seanmdav
Here’s what’s actually going on with the TikTok fight right now.

Deep State toadies are taking advantage of anti-China sentiment to transfer TikTok’s surveillance apparatus from China’s evil surveillance state to the U.S. government’s evil surveillance state.

TikTok isn’t going to be banned, because neither the CCP-run Chinese government nor the CCP-owned U.S. government wants to lose such a valuable tool for spying on Americans and poisoning the minds of their children. Instead, the corrupt U.S. intelligence bureaucracy wants control of TikTok, which is why it included the divestment mandate.

Only a handful of U.S. companies are capable of buying and managing TikTok, and they already function as appendages of the Deep State surveillance apparatus.

It’s not that the U.S. government wants to protect you from spying and data theft and manipulation. If only. No, the people behind the Russian collusion hoax, and the Kavanaugh hoax, and the natural origin COVID hoax, and the illegal warrantless spying, and the forced transing of your children—they want to be the ones spying on you and stealing your data and poisoning the minds of your children.

Now, should a spying and subversion tool used by our communist enemies to destroy us be banned? Yeah, obviously, for the same reason that we never would’ve allowed the Soviet Union to infiltrate our homes with their own radios and television sets during the Cold War. But that’s not what’s happening here.

Your government won’t even shoot down a Communist Chinese spy balloon, or prevent the Communist Chinese government from gobbling up your farmland, or stop the Communist Chinese government from stealing the products you make, dumping them into your market at below-market prices, and then driving you out of business. Heck, when the literal Chinese spy chief bought off the Biden family by funneling a million dollars to Hunter Biden, DOJ didn’t even bat an eyelash.

There’s no evidence anywhere that the regime that currently controls America has any interest in fighting off China’s attempts to cripple our country economically, militarily, or diplomatically. But suddenly they want you to believe they’re deeply concerned about TikTok.

I’m just not buying it, and neither should you.
9:09 PM · Mar 12, 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 01:18:06 am »
I get that... But that is in fact, censorship. Jussayin.
The Constitution ends at the border. Jussayin.

This is a Red Chinese psyop.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 04:11:33 am »

But we're here... Censoring US. Not censoring China.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 01:43:36 pm »
MAGA last month: Ban TikTok

Trump takes money from ByteDance

MAGA now: Don't ban TikTok
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline LMAO

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 02:05:47 pm »
MAGA last month: Ban TikTok

Trump takes money from ByteDance

MAGA now: Don't ban TikTok

What other political positions will he flip on if the price is right?

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline bilo

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 02:47:15 pm »

Your point is more than reasonable for adults.

The govt already restricts all kinds of things for those that are not adults. We should be looking at social media the same way. The social pathology created by social media is destroying our future because it is indoctrinating our youth into counter productive behavior and thoughts. If we want the Republic to survive it's one of the things that has to be regulated.

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 02:56:54 pm »
Couldn't agree more in sentiment - Both are nearly without purpose.
But I would be against you in practice.

Once censorship is enshrined, it will only grow.

Censorship already exists for the youth in the country. Young people aren't allowed to watch movies that are rated "R" and above. Young people are not allowed to drive, buy alcohol, etc.. Restrictions exist to protect them because their brains are not fully formed and they are to easily manipulated.

I'm very much opposed to censorship for adults, but clearly part of the reason our society is collapsing is we do not regulate enough what youth can and cannot do. Being able to access Tik Tok as well as using "smart" phones is part of the problem.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 02:58:45 pm »
Does free speech include the Chinese Communist Party's trojan horse application on our "smart" phones?

////00000////

At least the Chi-coms are free to purchase land next to American military installations and float spy balloons over America at will.

Great points!

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 03:01:00 pm »

The proof of that is what the communists allow on Tik Tok in China.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2024, 03:02:02 pm »

Great point.  I think this is a dim false flag operation with that ultimate intent.  Precedence will be set, and that wlll easily extend to things like conservative forums.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2024, 03:05:45 pm »
Let's not forget that the one entity that has the most to gain from this action is Facebook (Meta). 

They'll absorb that market share, and it won't cost them a dime.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.