Author Topic: U.S. Air Force Upgrading Litening Targeting Pods To New Large Aperture Variant  (Read 147 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. Air Force Upgrading Litening Targeting Pods To New Large Aperture Variant
March 11, 2024 Military AviationSTEFANO D'URSO
Litening

The upgraded Litening pod incorporates significant enhancements in electro-optical/infrared sensing and processing capabilities.

Northrop Grumman disclosed recently that the U.S. Air Force is currently fielding the upgraded Litening Large Aperture targeting pod, which incorporates significant enhancements in electro-optical/infrared sensing and processing capabilities compared to the older variant. The news follows the recent frequent sightings of Litening pods on active-duty F-16s instead of the Sniper pod.

In fact, while the AAQ-28 Litening targeting pod was previously fielded across all units, USAFE, PACAF and ACC units replaced it with the newer Lockheed Martin AAQ-33 Sniper targeting pod, while the Litening remained in use by ANG units. Since late 2023, however, many photos surfaced online both from the Air Force and aircraft spotters showed a new return of the Litening on USAFE, PACAF and ACC F-16s.

Northrop Grumman listed in its press release the three main features of Litening Large Aperture:

https://theaviationist.com/2024/03/11/usaf-upgrades-litening-pods/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson