Author Topic: Energy Department Poised to Zap Nation’s Electrical Transformers, Which are Already in Short Supply  (Read 597 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by Leslie Eastman 3/12/2024

Regulations trigger “a host of related issues that utilities would need to address.”

Professor Jacobson recently reviewed the alarming state of the nation’s electric grid. Large portions of this country are at risk of running short of power as electricity-hungry data centers and clean-technology factories proliferate around the country.

The situation is not helped by eco-activists throughout the country shuttering energy-efficient nuclear power plants and destroying hydroelectric dams to save fish species. Weather-dependent, energy-inefficient wind and solar power cannot take up the slack caused by closing coal plants.

It must be noted that fuel is just one part of the energy equation. Equipment and materials necessary to distribute the energy are another consideration. For example, distribution transformers are critical to the steady flow of electricity along the power grid by changing high-voltage electricity from transmission lines into low-voltage electricity before it reaches consumers.

Unfortunately, there are concerns arising about the shortage of transformers. National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) researchers recently produced a report, Major Drivers of Long-Term Distribution Transformer Demand, that looked at this issue.

“Distribution transformers are a bedrock component of our energy infrastructure,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) researcher Killian McKenna said. “But utilities needing to add or replace them are currently facing high prices and long wait times due to supply chain shortages. This has the potential to affect energy accessibility, reliability, affordability—everything.”

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has proposed new energy efficiency standards for distribution transformers. Almost all transformers produced under the new standard would feature amorphous steel cores that are, according to the DOE, significantly more energy efficient than those made of traditional, grain-oriented electrical steel.

First, Mandating a complete overhaul of transformer production during a severe shortage is basically insane.

Second, the amorphous core transformers are significantly larger, leading to a host of technical issues that would jack up energy costs even more.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2024/03/energy-department-poised-to-zap-nations-electrical-transformers-which-are-already-in-short-supply/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
As I posted yesterday...

The ultimate (and thus undisclosed for a reason) goal of "Net Zero" is:
"Economic Zero".

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I loose electricity more frequently now than 10 years ago.

The Green New Screwjob removes incentive for private companies to re-invest in energy infrastructure.

My utility's maintenance program is to replace old transformers as they exploded or catch fire.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From: https://web.archive.org/web/20110903231440/http://www.amorphous-metal-transformer.com/

Numerous amount of AMT are found globally. Currently, China, India, US, Japan, and Korea are the most steady users who regularly install AMT on annual base. For example, China will install about 30,000,000KVA AMT in 2010. A number of ASEAN countries are at early phase of deployment. Zhixin Electric of China is currently the world’s largest manufacturer of AMT .Multinationals such as ABB, GE, Hitachi, etc. are all capable to supply AMT. Also, a good number of regional manufacturers are available in Asia Pacific.

Uh huh...

essential ingredients: https://web.archive.org/web/20071006175738/http://www.metglas.com/products/page5_1_5.htm

More of the same.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:26:57 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis