Author Topic: Bravely protecting ‘free speech’ at the University of California at Berkeley  (Read 125 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
March 12, 2024
Bravely protecting ‘free speech’ at the University of California at Berkeley
By Ethel C. Fenig
Sixty years ago, the so-called “free speech” movement began at the University of California at Berkeley.

History of the Free Speech Movement

The Free Speech Movement began in 1964 when UC Berkeley students protested the university’s restrictions on political activities on campus. Small sit-ins and demonstrations escalated into a series of large-scale rallies and protests demanding full constitutional rights on campus. This led to the university overturning policies that would restrict the content of speech or advocacy. Today, the Movement stands as a symbol of the importance of protecting and preserving free speech and academic freedom. ...

Our principles of community

Our principles of community are rooted in our mission and reflect our passion for critical inquiry, debate, discovery and innovation, and our deep commitment to contributing to a better world.

“... contributing to a better world.”  Hmmm — sounds inspiring.  How is this “passion” manifested?

Student support

Our campus has served as a meeting point for extreme elements from opposing ends of the political spectrum and may also attract and involve those who espouse hateful rhetoric that runs counter to our values. If you need support, the campus has several resources.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/03/bravely_protecting_free_speech_at_the_university_of_california_at_berkeley.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson