Author Topic: California lawmaker introduces bill offering free legal aid to fight deportation for illegals convic  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
March 11, 2024
California lawmaker introduces bill offering free legal aid to fight deportation for illegals convicted of violent felonies
By Monica Showalter
Somewhere, Kate Steinle's killer must be smiling.

A California state assemblyman has introduced a bill to provide free legal services to illegal aliens convicted of violent felonies to fight their deportation orders.

Since there's no news article about this so far, here's the bill itself on Legiscan, and below are the relevant parts of the official summary, emphasis mine:

This bill would expand those qualifying services to persons having an intent to reside in and having a nexus to the state, and would expand the scope of services to include, among other things, legal representation and related services for removal defense. The bill would make changes to the definitions of various terms relating to legal services and immigration remedies.

Existing law prohibits use of the grant funds to provide legal services to an individual who has been convicted of, or who is currently appealing a conviction for, a violent or serious felony.

This bill would remove that prohibition on the use of funds for those individuals.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/03/california_lawmaker_introduces_bill_offering_free_legal_aid_to_fight_deportation_to_illegals_convicted_of_violent_felonies.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why can't they be represented by public defenders just like Americans would? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson