Author Topic: Hawaii's Last Pearl Harbor Survivor Laid to Rest  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hawaii's Last Pearl Harbor Survivor Laid to Rest
« on: March 11, 2024, 02:51:41 pm »
Hawaii's Last Pearl Harbor Survivor Laid to Rest

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser | By Kevin Knodell
Published March 08, 2024 at 2:24pm ET

The last known Pearl Harbor attack survivor living in Hawaii was laid to rest Thursday alongside his late wife at the Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery in Kaneohe.

Sterling Robert Cale was 102 years old when he died Jan. 10 in his Aiea home, which overlooked Pearl Harbor's battleship row. Even into the last years of his life, Cale regularly volunteered at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial to share his experiences with visitors. He would spend almost every birthday outside the bookstore there, often posing for photos with visitors and letting out his catch phrase "Ready, aim, fire !" as the camera clicked.

"It didn't matter how many times I've heard that, I smiled just as much as the people who heard it the first timeā€”it was always fun, " recalled C.R. Drumhellier, commander of American Legion Post 17. "He was animated around the cake, giving fist bumps, and the kids loved it. Moms and dads obviously loved it, too."

During a eulogy, his grandson Sterling Robert Cale Jr. said he was "always humble, kind and patient. He never complained, even when he was in pain. I would always ask him how he was feeling today, and his answer to me was always the same : 'I feel with my hands. How do you feel ?'"

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/08/hawaiis-last-pearl-harbor-survivor-laid-rest.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson