Author Topic: Fact Check: George Stephanopoulos Lies About Trump and ‘Rape’  (Read 341 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fact Check: George Stephanopoulos Lies About Trump and ‘Rape’

Joel B. Pollak 10 Mar 2024

CLAIM: ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos claimed that former President Donald was “found liable for rape by a jury.

VERDICT: FALSE. A jury in New York found that Trump was not liable for rape in a lawsuit brought by E. Jean Carroll.

Stephanopoulos repeatedly claimed, as he interviewed Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC), that Trump had been found “liable” for “rape.” In fact, he was found not to be liable; he was found liable for “sexual abuse” and, later for defamation. There are problems with both of those verdicts, but even if Trump were liable (in a civil sense, not a criminal one, as Mace noted), the fact is that he was never found liable for rape. And it borders on defamation for Stephanopoulos to claim otherwise.

As Breitbart News reported last May:

A jury in New York found former President Donald Trump liable Tuesday for sexual abuse and battery of writer E. Jean Carroll three decades ago, though not liable for rape, and awarded $5 million in civil damages against him.

The jury also found Trump defamed Ms. Carroll in his reactions to her lawsuit, which was encouraged by anti-Trump lawyer George Conway and backed by Democrat mega-donor Reid Hoffman, an associate of the late convicted sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein.

It is true that Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in the case said that Trump was found to have “raped” Carroll in the colloquial sense. But the judge’s claim was the subject of widespread criticism, and the jury specifically found Trump not liable.

It was Stephanopoulos who used the word “jury,” which makes his statement 100% false, not even defensible as a colloquial use of the term “rape” (as an apparent substitute for “sexual abuse”).

Mace pointed out that Stephanopoulous was trying to “shame” her by using her own experience as a rape survivor to say she should be ashamed to endorse Trump, who had been accused of rape. In that context, his lie was even worse.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2024/03/10/fact-check-george-stephanopoulos-lies-about-trump-and-rape/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

Re: Fact Check: George Stephanopoulos Lies About Trump and ‘Rape’
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 01:53:55 pm »
Steppy is not a journalist but a Democrat Party spokesman

His job is to push the Democrat narratives and disguise them as news stories
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Fact Check: George Stephanopoulos Lies About Trump and ‘Rape’
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 02:01:18 pm »
George Stephanopoulos made his political bones as Mike Dukakis' coffee boy in 1988.  In 1992, he worked for Clinton Campaign.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.