Author Topic: Senators want to dust off 'Truman Committee' to out war profiteers  (Read 203 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Senators want to dust off 'Truman Committee' to out war profiteers

Six US senators want to investigate the military industrial complex, but nothing will change as long as America seeks to dominate the world

WILLIAM HARTUNG
MAR 07, 2024
It’s a great time to be a weapons contractor. The Pentagon budget is soaring towards $1 trillion per year. President Biden has called the arms industry and its workforce “the arsenal of democracy” for their role in providing the systems Ukraine needs to defend itself from Russia’s invasion.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon and industry-boosters in Congress are talking about all manner of reforms to move money and weapons faster at the expense of human rights monitoring and adequate technical and cost evaluations. All of the above also makes it a great time for contractors to engage in fraud, waste and abuse — or, to put it another way, war profiteering.

Six members of the U.S. Senate, led by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), have taken note. The group — which includes Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Ed Markey (D-Mass), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Sen. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) — is calling onSenate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to establish a modern-day version of the “Truman Committee,” a World War II-era body known officially as “The Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program.”

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/war-profiteers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Senators want to dust off 'Truman Committee' to out war profiteers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 01:58:19 pm »
Utter BULLSH*T!!  It's all for show with the campaign season.  They'll do the same as Newsom in Mejifornia and find a way for major profiteers to keep their profits.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Senators want to dust off 'Truman Committee' to out war profiteers
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 02:01:35 pm »
In other words... certain U.S. Senators are concerned that they may not be getting their rightful share of kickbacks and sweetheart deals. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn