Author Topic: Gallup: Immigration Surges to the Top of Americans’ Concerns  (Read 466 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Gallup: Immigration Surges to the Top of Americans’ Concerns
Three polls the president and Congress ignore at their peril

By Andrew R. Arthur on March 7, 2024

With Super Tuesday ended and the 2024 presidential electoral matchup pitting former President Donald Trump against current President Joe Biden set (for now), immigration is now Americans’ leading concern according to a poll released last week by Gallup. That survey is no outlier, and the question now is whether the incumbent and Congress can address voters’ angst over the crisis at the Southwest border in the next eight months. If they can’t, they may be looking for new jobs come January.

Gallup. The results of that poll were released on February 27, with 28 percent of respondents identifying “immigration” as “the most important problem facing this country today”. That puts the issue in first place out of 15 topics polled, solidly beating out “government” (20 percent), the “economy in general” (12 percent), “inflation” (11 percent), and “crime” (3 percent).

Even if you combine the economy and inflation — closely intertwined issues — immigration is still a bigger concern. That is nothing short of tectonic, especially since just one month earlier, immigration was just the second biggest issue for Americans, at 20 percent, trailing the economy by one point.

It’s not entirely clear why Americans are suddenly focused on immigration, given that the Southwest border is in no better or worse shape than two years ago, but migrant crises in northern cities, the Senate’s failure to pass a border bill, and recent high-profile crimes committed by migrants have likely played a major role.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Gallup-Immigration-Surges-Top-Americans-Concerns
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Gallup: Immigration Surges to the Top of Americans’ Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 09:21:47 pm »
I've said it before and I'll repeat:
THIS IS THE ISSUE that can guarantee a Republican victory in November.

BUT... Mr. Trump must be unafraid and relentless in his attack on the left.
The attack must (of necessity) include language and phrases that will be called "racist".

Too bad for the left.
Let them scream.