Author Topic: United Nations raises alert for 780,000 people displaced in Mozambique, mostly due to violence  (Read 184 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
United Nations raises alert for 780,000 people displaced in Mozambique, mostly due to violence
The insurgency, led by an ISIS-affiliated group, has forced 1.3 million people to flee their homes since 2017
 Associated Press
Published March 7, 2024 8:58am EST

Filippo Grandi, the U.N.'s high commissioner for refugees, raised an alert regarding over 780,000 displaced people in Mozambique

The insurgency, led by an ISIS-affiliated group, has forced around 1.3 million people to flee their homes in Cabo Delgado province since 2017.

Recent attacks by the Mozambique group since January 2024 have led to 80,000 new displacements.
The United Nations' refugee chief raised a new alert Thursday over 780,000 displaced people in Mozambique, the vast majority of them because of a seven-year insurgency by a jihadi group that has thrown the north of the country into turmoil.

Filippo Grandi, the U.N.'s high commissioner for refugees, was on a visit to Mozambique's northern Cabo Delgado province, where an Islamic State-affiliated group has waged attacks on communities since 2017 and where some 1.3 million people were forced to flee their homes to escape killings and beheadings.

Around 600,000 have returned home, many to shattered communities where houses, markets, churches, schools and health facilities have been destroyed.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/united-nations-raises-alert-780000-people-displaced-mozambique-violence.amp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson