Author Topic: Biden’s SOTU: 'Old Ideas' Talk Back to an Old Man  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden’s SOTU: 'Old Ideas' Talk Back to an Old Man
« on: March 09, 2024, 02:32:35 pm »
March 9, 2024
Biden’s SOTU: 'Old Ideas' Talk Back to an Old Man
By Selwyn Duke

“Nine out of ten of what we call new ideas are simply old mistakes,” noted G.K. Chesterton a century ago. This is brought to mind by the modern obsession with “new ideas,” typified by Joe Biden’s implicit touting of them during his State of the Union address.

The issue “isn't how old we are; it’s how old our ideas are,” he said Thursday evening. He’s right, too.

And, usually, the “older” the ideas, the better.

There’s an irony to Biden’s appeal: He doesn’t want to be dismissed out of hand over age.

But he does want ideas dismissed out of hand over age.

(Though there’s a contradiction here. More on that momentarily.)

Neither should be done, of course. When I needed a certain kind of physician some years back, I purposely chose an 81-year-old man still in practice precisely because, good profiling informed, he was more likely to be imbued with “old ideas.” As examples, I was thinking about virtues such as Diligence (which relates to conscientiousness, dutifulness) and Prudence (which meant he was less likely to fancy that you can change sexes at will like some science-fiction shape-shifter). I was not disappointed.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/03/bidens_sotu_old_ideas_talk_back_to_an_old_man.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson