Author Topic: FLORIDA DEMOCRATS RESPOND TO FLORIDA’S 2024 LEGISLATIVE SESSION  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Poor Nikki.  She is such a loser. 

Today, at 2:27 p.m., the Florida Legislature adjourned sine die for the 2024 legislative session. In response, the Florida Democratic Party has issued the following statement:

“In January, we said Republicans would come to Tallahassee to do absolutely nothing for the people of this state. Now that session is over, it’s safe to say that we were right,” said FDP Chair Nikki Fried. “In the face of our worsening affordability crisis, Republicans offered no real solutions to our broken property and auto insurance markets or to the skyrocketing costs of rent and utilities across Florida. Instead, Republican leadership consistently put their own political ambitions ahead of the needs of Floridians, posturing over made-up culture war issues and jockeying for power in Tallahassee.

“I’m proud of the hard work of Florida’s elected Democrats, who came to work every day to hold Florida Republicans accountable for both their actions and their inaction. Instead of bowing to the supermajority, Florida Democrats showed up and fought for Floridians, working both publicly and behind the scenes to kill harmful legislation and advance policies that would make lives better for people across Florida. I’m thankful for their work, and proud to be their party chair.

“I also want to thank the thousands of Floridians who came to Tallahassee these last few months to make sure that their voices were heard — even as Republicans did everything possible to silence them. Their time and effort helped drown out the endless drone of culture war messaging, and should remind all of us that politics is about making lives better for the people in our communities.”
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Hoodat

Re: FLORIDA DEMOCRATS RESPOND TO FLORIDA’S 2024 LEGISLATIVE SESSION
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 01:45:16 pm »
“In the face of our worsening affordability crisis, Republicans offered no real solutions to our broken property and auto insurance markets

How are they broken?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 04:00:53 pm »
How are they broken?
Chuck Crist broke the Prop Insurance. 

Eight hurricanes tore through Florida between 2004 and 2005, leaving homeowners on the hook for higher insurance premiums. Ahead of the 2006 governor’s race, the insurance market became a chief concern.

Crist, then a Republican, campaigned on a promise to help consumers and their wallets. After taking office, he called on the state Legislature to hold a special session on property insurance.

Florida statutes previously required the state-run insurer, Citizens Property Insurance Corp, to develop rates based on the state’s top insurers to avoid competing with the private market. HB 1A eliminated that requirement, and Citizens became a major competitor in the homeowners’ insurance market.

The average homeowners’ insurance premium declined 3% from 2008 to 2009. But falling rates were short-lived. Private insurers said they could not compete with Citizens’ frozen rates, a report from the Florida Commission on Hurricane Loss Projection Methodology found.

Citizens swelled by about 400,000 policies between 2004 and 2007, for a total of 1.2 million properties covered in 2010.

In 2009, Crist signed HB 1495 to end the rate freeze and allow Citizens to increase homeowners’ insurance premiums; the law capped rate increases to 10% until Citizens became actuarially sound, or in line with private insurers’ pricing practices.

Result, Most of the big companies ie, State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, pulled out of the FL market. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 04:10:49 pm »
Great summary, @Wingnut!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 04:29:08 pm »
Great summary, @Wingnut!

Thanks.  This all came to light when the Q-tip, now a Democrat, ran for Gov and ran ads claiming he lowered Prop ins rates when he was Gov. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 07:09:48 pm »
Thank you, @Wingnut .  Government created the problem.  Again.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 10:47:47 pm »
Here's another Fishrrman "totally offa the wall" prediction:
In the not-too-distant future, there may arise a sizable minority of homeowners in Florida -- eventually, maybe even a majority -- who simply forego home insurance altogether due to high costs they can't pay (or don't want to pay).

Perhaps in California as well.

Might be time for tax-deductible "home insurance savings accounts" for homeowners to establish and contribute into each year (kind of like those "health savings accounts")...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 11:01:08 pm »
In the not-too-distant future, there may arise a sizable minority of homeowners in Florida -- eventually, maybe even a majority -- who simply forego home insurance altogether due to high costs they can't pay (or don't want to pay).

Might be time for tax-deductible "home insurance savings accounts" for homeowners to establish and contribute into each year (kind of like those "health savings accounts")...

That will likely happen, and then the lien-holders of Mortgages will demand the coverage anyway.  Probably already a lot of that going on.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 12:57:52 am »

You mean like a FEMA bail out fund?   Yeah that will be the ticket.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 04:24:07 am »
That will likely happen, and then the lien-holders of Mortgages will demand the coverage anyway.  Probably already a lot of that going on.
My mom lives in Seizu, er Leisure World in California where she owns no actual property, only a share in the Golden Rain Foundation Foundation, but they require her to carry 100k coverage on their property...in case you know she burns it down. Of course if someone else burns down her conjoined domicile she will still be responsible **nononono*

As soon as I become the trustee after my mom passes that friggin "share" is going on the market along with their damned almost $600 a month "mutual payment".