Author Topic: Donald Trump should have given the State of the Union rebuttal  (Read 1149 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump should have given the State of the Union rebuttal
By
Jeremiah Poff
March 8, 2024 12:54 pm

Sen. Katie Britt (R-AL) had one job: Deliver a strong and inspiring rebuttal to President Joe Biden‘s hateful, bitter, angry, and divisive State of the Union speech Thursday.

Instead, she used her moment in the spotlight to speak in halting tones that fluctuated between emotions in a bizarre fashion. It was a performance that had more in common with an actress trying to play the part of a mother alternating between soothing and chastising her child than a politician offering a response to the hate-filled speech of her political adversary.

That being said, Britt should not be pilloried too much for her performance. Giving the response to the State of the Union is a tough task for any politician. And, as Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) knows, can be a source of infamy more than break-out moments. Still, as a first-term senator, Britt will recover and should enjoy a long career in politics.

But Britt was the wrong choice to give the State of the Union response in 2024. By tapping her for the speech, the Republican leadership missed a golden opportunity to remind people of the stakes of the 2024 election.

Unlike most presidential election years, at this point in the cycle, the Republican Party, despite being out of power, already has its candidate for the November election.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/beltway-confidential/2910637/donald-trump-should-have-given-the-state-of-the-union-rebuttal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Donald Trump should have given the State of the Union rebuttal
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 07:21:48 pm »
Perhaps someone more seasoned would have done a better job (I haven't seen it). If it had to be a woman, then maybe Marsha Blackburn? If not, how about Ted Cruz or J.D. Vance?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 07:29:22 pm »
Ron Coleman
@RonColeman
Why are people lashing out at @KatieBrittforAL for the SOTU response?
She's not a TV producer, scriptwriter, marketing pro or actress. She loyally did what she was asked, surely following the advice of the national GOP "experts."
Why do we have to attack our own?
Last edited
1:43 PM · Mar 8, 2024

Leslie McAdoo Gordon 🇺🇸
@McAdooGordon
Because she’s making us look bad - esp right of center women. I found that speech & the setup absurd. She’s not an infant. She could have insisted on a more appropriate setting and delivery. I doubt any male Senator would have given a comparably absurd speech.
2:11 PM · Mar 8, 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 09:07:55 pm »
I can't think of anyone that has given a rebuttal to a Dem SOTU that didn't get hammered. Usually more, as in this case, than the Dem president that gave the speech.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 09:34:57 pm »
Sen. Katie Britt (R-AL) had one job: Deliver a strong and inspiring rebuttal to President Joe Biden‘s hateful, bitter, angry, and divisive State of the Union speech Thursday.

Instead, she used her moment in the spotlight to speak in halting tones that fluctuated between emotions in a bizarre fashion. It was a performance that had more in common with an actress trying to play the part of a mother alternating between soothing and chastising her child than a politician offering a response to the hate-filled speech of her political adversary.

Fun fact about Katie Britt.  Her husband is Wesley Britt.  Who is Wesley Britt?
He was an offensive lineman on the U. of Alabama football team.

In 2003, in the first quarter of the Tennessee at Alabama game,
Wesley Britt's leg was broken.
What do you think an average person would do in that situation?
I think most people would be struggling to cope with the pain.
Not Wesley Britt.

While he was on the stretcher, being carried out of the stadium,
he was pumping his fist in the air, yelling,
"Play hard!  We have to win this game!"
He got the crowd fired up.

WESLEY Britt would have been a better choice to make that speech!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 09:44:26 pm »
Like I said, I didn't watch Britt's response. But here's one reaction:

Afewcrayonsshort
@afewcrayons
I think she did well.  People who follow politics are terrible judges of what normal people see.   My girlfriend doesn’t follow politics.  She saw an angry old man followed by someone she would love to have a glass of wine with.
10:34 AM · Mar 8, 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 09:20:50 pm »
Boston Herald op-ed: Sen. Elizabeth Warren streamed an Instagram Live video from her kitchen when she announced she was forming a presidential exploratory campaign in 2019. No one complained that it was demeaning toward women.

https://twitter.com/bostonherald/status/1766411817012605270

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 09:51:00 pm »
There are people on X claiming Ramaswamy was the pick for the response but Mitch McConnell killed that in favor of Britt.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 09:54:47 pm »
I like the lady, but she came across as a substandard "B" List Actress trying out for the big part. 

Usng overacting when trying to look sincere is not a good look.  I know it might not be a popular opinion here, but just my observatioon.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 11:35:41 pm »
For Reference... It seems no one provides a link to her words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmKa73egxA

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 01:46:11 am »

Afewcrayonsshort
@afewcrayons
I think she did well.  People who follow politics are terrible judges of what normal people see.   My girlfriend doesn’t follow politics.  She saw an angry old man followed by someone she would love to have a glass of wine with.

This kind of thing is far more important than well informed people like us tend to realize.
The fact is, the critical swing vote that decides most of the elections,
is in the hands of people like this -
people who don't understand any of the issues,
but are swayed entirely by whichever candidate makes them feel good.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 02:16:16 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 08:07:10 am »
This kind of thing is far more important than well informed people like us tend to realize.

I agree.

If I had to pick the group this is aimed at, it is the suburban housewife/working mom. That doesn't mean it won't play reasonably well with women in the cities and the boonies, but the vibe I got is that it was aimed at the 'burbs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 05:02:44 pm »
Joe Biden could have given the rebuttal.

https://twitter.com/mazemoore/status/1766851119018369267

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 05:04:33 pm »
Or this Joe Biden could have rebutted Dementia Joe:

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1766749835544109251

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 05:12:30 pm »
If Trump had given the rebuttal, that would have played right into the TDS fever going on.

Nope.

Better to try to connect with the real swing vote out there: mostly White, but all suburban, women, moms and working mothers who run down the middle, a little Left, a little Right, and appeal to them to get out and vote for something other than the status quo by reminding them of their pain during this administration. Putting groceries on the table, getting the kid to soccer practice, worrying about the security of their families with increasing lawlessness, all due to policies of this administration, and absent while Trump was in office, or at least less prominent.

I think that mission was accomplished.

This was not a rebuttal for the true believers, it was a rebuttal for those uncertain of their future on America's present course, a reassurance that if they vote for Republicans that things will be Okay in the end.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 05:48:46 pm »

Afewcrayonsshort
@afewcrayons

Good point.

And that applies to why Trump is not a good candidate overall, either.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 09:16:54 pm »

@unite for individuality

Amen,amen,amen!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 09:18:12 pm »
If Trump had given the rebuttal, that would have played right into the TDS fever going on.

Nope.

Better to try to connect with the real swing vote out there: mostly White, but all suburban, women, moms and working mothers who run down the middle, a little Left, a little Right, and appeal to them to get out and vote for something other than the status quo by reminding them of their pain during this administration. Putting groceries on the table, getting the kid to soccer practice, worrying about the security of their families with increasing lawlessness, all due to policies of this administration, and absent while Trump was in office, or at least less prominent.

I think that mission was accomplished.

This was not a rebuttal for the true believers, it was a rebuttal for those uncertain of their future on America's present course, a reassurance that if they vote for Republicans that things will be Okay in the end.

@Smokin Joe

GREAT post!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!