Author Topic: DRONES, THE AIR LITTORAL, AND THE LOOMING IRRELEVANCE OF THE U.S. AIR FORCE  (Read 430 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DRONES, THE AIR LITTORAL, AND THE LOOMING IRRELEVANCE OF THE U.S. AIR FORCE
DAVID BARNO AND NORA BENSAHEL
MARCH 7, 2024
SPECIAL SERIES - STRATEGIC OUTPOST

Today, the U.S. Air Force faces an almost-existential crisis. During the past several years, the service has been battered by the loss of its prestigious space mission to the nascent U.S. Space Force. It has also struggled to balance the continued acquisition of stunningly expensive new manned aircraft with the rapid developments in unmanned technologies, which are making pilots increasingly superfluous.

What a difference a few years makes. In 2016, we published a column entitled “The Catastrophic Success of the U.S. Air Force,” which argued that the service had completely dominated the air domain for so long that it was not fully prepared to fight a bloody war for control of the skies. But those days are long gone, thanks to the drone revolution.

The biggest problem facing the Air Force is that masses of uncrewed drones have now wrested command of the air away from manned aircraft in the skies above the modern battlefield. The drone revolution means that it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for the service to achieve air superiority in future conflicts — which has been the centerpiece of its mission for decades. Drones, not manned airplanes, now dominate the skies above ground forces fighting in Ukraine. The contested air littoral has emerged as a critical new subdomain of warfare. It stretches from the earth’s surface to several thousand feet, below the altitudes where most manned aircraft typically fly, and is now dominated by masses of drones. This is a paradigm shift of epic proportions, which will require the Air Force to fundamentally transform itself in a very short period of time.

https://warontherocks.com/2024/03/drones-the-air-littoral-and-the-looming-irrelevance-of-the-u-s-air-force/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Good article, Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IF the USAF is becoming "irrelevant" it is because it,like the other service brances,has been infiltrated by an influx of Globalist officers whose "Rabbi's" are existing General officers.

Don't think  that can happen? Remember the West Point Graduation class a few years back where a couple of graduating cadets ripped their jackets off to reveal Communist slogan  t-shirts underneath?

General Miss Miley has done more to destroy  the US Army that all the soliders in Russia and China combined,and that did NOT happen by accident.

Yet,for some reason,nobody wants to talk about this,they all seem to want to blame the failings of our military on the lowest ranking enlisted soldiers.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!