Author Topic: Jimmy Carter Killed This Technology 50 Years Ago. Congress Is About To Fund Its Revival.  (Read 276 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Jimmy Carter Killed This Technology 50 Years Ago. Congress Is About To Fund Its Revival.
Story by Alexander C. Kaufman • 10h •

The nuclear waste sitting at power plants across the United States contains enough energy to power the country for more than 100 years. But recycling spent uranium fuel was banned in 1977 because President Jimmy Carter feared that nuclear reprocessing could lead to more production of atomic weapons.

In the last 47 years, China, France, Japan, Russia and the United Kingdom have all developed the tools to recycle nuclear waste. The U.S., by contrast, made a plan to bury that spent fuel underground and even built a facility — but then abandoned the strategy without any clear alternative.

That may soon change.

The short-term spending bill passed this week in the U.S. House to avert a government shutdown contains the first major funding for commercializing technology to recycle nuclear waste.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jimmy-carter-killed-this-technology-50-years-ago-congress-is-about-to-fund-its-revival/ar-BB1jw7Kq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=5e627c9064074032a1a5c2331b866175&ei=18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson