Author Topic: NY Times: Trump as GOP nominee in 2024 a ‘tragedy’ for America  (Read 169 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 NY Times: Trump as GOP nominee in 2024 a ‘tragedy’ for America
by Dominick Mastrangelo - 03/07/24 11:16 AM ET

The editorial board of the New York Times called the fact that former President Trump is poised to reclaim the Republican nomination for president a “tragedy.”

“With Donald Trump’s victories on Tuesday, he has moved to the cusp of securing the 1,215 delegates necessary to win the Republican Party’s presidential nomination. The rest is a formality,” the board wrote this week. “The party has become a vessel for the fulfillment of Mr. Trump’s ambitions, and he will almost certainly be its standard-bearer for a third time.”

“This is a tragedy for the Republican Party and for the country it purports to serve,” the newspaper continued.

“Trump has demonstrated a contempt for the Constitution and the rule of law that makes him unfit to hold office,” the newspaper argued. “But when an entire political party, particularly one of the two main parties in a country as powerful as the United States, turns into an instrument of that person and his most dangerous ideas, the damage affects everyone.”

After Trump’s sweeping string of primary victories on Super Tuesday, former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley, his only challenger remaining, dropped out of contention on Wednesday.

And though Trump has yet to officially claim enough delegates for the nomination, Haley’s exit signifies the beginning of what is widely expected to be a rematch of the 2020 election between Trump and President Biden this fall.

“Without a sufficient number of Republicans holding positions of power who have shown that they will serve the Constitution and the American people before the president, the country takes an enormous risk,” the Times wrote. “A party without dissent or internal debate, one that exists only to serve the will of one man, is also one that is unable to govern.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4516170-ny-times-editorial-trump-gop-nominee-tragedy/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: NY Times: Trump as GOP nominee in 2024 a ‘tragedy’ for America
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 04:52:09 pm »
And what is Biden??
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy