Author Topic: Top 8 threats to National Security in 2024  (Read 351 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Top 8 threats to National Security in 2024
« on: March 07, 2024, 03:51:37 pm »
Top 8 threats to National Security in 2024
By
Tessa Robinson
Feb 29, 2024 11:26 AM PST

SUMMARY
Every year, the Council on Foreign Relations publishes the greatest threats to the American experiment. For the first time, the biggest one is already on U.S. soil.
Every year, the Council on Foreign Relations pulls together a comprehensive report surrounding the biggest threats to our American experiment called the "Preventative Priorities Survey." I like to call it "Top 8 reasons to have anxiety." According to the PPS, the survey evaluates "ongoing and potential conflicts based on their likelihood of occurring in the coming year and their impact on U.S. interests."

The PPS aims to "help the U.S. policymaking community prioritize competing conflict prevention and mitigation demands." While the survey acknowledges there are countless threats to the nation, they're really focused on the top 30, which they place in three categories - Tiers I, II, and III. Eight threats made it into Tier I for 2024, and this year, for the first time in the report's 16-year history, the report doesn't list a foreign entity as the biggest threat, rather, we, as Americans, are the biggest danger to ourselves.

via GIPHY

A few notes from the PPS before we discuss this no good, terrible, awful, terrifying news: "The survey did not ask experts to assess broad trends like global warming, demographic change, or technological developments because it is inherently difficult to gauge how such trends could trigger conflict in a specific area over the next twelve months. Nor does the PPS attempt to evaluate the risk associated with more discrete events such as earthquakes, severe weather events, public health crises, or the death of a specific leader, all of which can undermine political stability. Such random events are inherently unpredictable within a short time frame. The results reflect expert opinion at the time the survey was conducted in November 2023. The world is a dynamic place and geopolitical risk assessments need to be regularly updated to refect changing circumstances. For this reason, CPA monitors ongoing and emerging conflicts with its award-winning “Global Conflict Tracker” interactive, accessible at cfr.org/globalconficttracker."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-news/top-8-threats-to-national-security/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Top 8 threats to National Security in 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 05:27:58 am »
Interesting. Number one is political polarization and possible action surrounding the coming election.

Nonwithstanding the hyperbole about J6, the violent and destructive protests have all been the tool of the Left. Perhaps the CFR is afraid that Americans will react to such shenanigans with meaningful action of their own, and therein lies the "threat to 'our' democracy",
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis