Author Topic: Man who crashed snowmobile into Black Hawk sues government for $9.5M  (Read 150 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Man who crashed snowmobile into Black Hawk sues government for $9.5M
By Michael Casey, The Associated Press
 Mar 6, 01:07 PM

A Massachusetts man wants the government to pay nearly $10 million after being badly injured in a crash with a Black Hawk helicopter. (Army photo provided by attorney Douglas Desjardins/AP)
BOSTON (AP) — Jeff Smith was whizzing along on a snowmobile one evening a few years back when something dark appeared in front of him. He hit his brakes but he couldn’t avoid clipping the rear tail of a Black Hawk helicopter parked on the trail.

The March 2019 crash almost cost Smith his life and is now the subject of a federal lawsuit by the Massachusetts lawyer. He is demanding $9.5 million in damages from the government, money he says is needed to cover his medical expenses and lost wages, as well as hold the military responsible for the crash.

“The last five years, there’s been surgery, recovery, surgery, recovery,” said Smith, who lost the use of his left arm, suffered respiratory issues since the crash, and hasn’t been able to work full time. “Honestly, right now, it feels like I’m in a worst place than when I first had the surgeries in 2019.”

A U.S. District Court judge in Springfield is expected to rule on the lawsuit later this year.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2024/03/06/man-who-crashed-snowmobile-into-black-hawk-sues-government-for-95m/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Man who crashed snowmobile into Black Hawk sues government for $9.5M
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 03:33:19 pm »
 :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson