Author Topic: A Better Approach for Preparing U.S. Military Installations for Climate Shocks  (Read 137 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Better Approach for Preparing U.S. Military Installations for Climate Shocks
PUBLISHED MARCH 5, 2024
@ 11:24 AM

By Chel Stromgren and Jeb Benzing
The legendary English naturalist Charles Darwin suggested that species most adaptable to changes in the environment – not necessarily the strongest or smartest – are those best suited to prevail.

That axiom guides the strategy of the U.S. military, which places a premium on building resilience to overcome the most taxing situations and unpredictability of combat. Now, the Department of Defense is leading the way in adapting its forces to the challenge of climate change to ensure they can still operate effectively in the face of growing environmental stressors such as rising sea levels and more frequent and intense weather events.

But to spend resources wisely, the time has come for a more sophisticated approach to assessing the risk of climate change; an approach that relies on cutting-edge modeling tools to assess how and where adverse consequences are most likely to occur in the future. Without such a comprehensive approach, the Pentagon is at serious risk of wasting billions of dollars on mitigation efforts that do little to prepare for the future.

https://defenseopinion.com/a-better-approach-for-preparing-u-s-military-installations-for-climate-shocks/542/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The BEST APPROACH would be to not get involved in that nonsense at all.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson