Author Topic: Capell Aris: Should we abandon electricity generation using gas?  (Read 248 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Capell Aris: Should we abandon electricity generation using gas?
MARCH 6, 2024
tags: ccgt
By Paul Homewood

A recent article (Are Labour sleepwalking to energy disaster?) showed that the UK’s capacity of combined-cycle gas turbine generators (CCGTs) is declining, and that by 2030 will have fallen to 12 GW; it will disappear in the next decade.

We are reliant on CCGTs to cover times when intermittent, renewable output is low, and to ensure grid stability. We will therefore need to build more CCGTs, but this is an attractive option, since CCGT plants are cheap and quick to build.
There was one noteworthy addition to the CCGT fleet in 2023: Keadby 2. Its performance is remarkable, boasting an efficiency of 63% – compared to the 46% of the retiring CCGTs. It was cheap and quick to build (see Table 1). The carbon dioxide emissions of the old CCGT fleet was 365 g/kWh but ‘Keadby’ CCGTs could decrease that to 260 g/kWh – 30% lower. Keadby 2 has great flexibility in the fuel it can burn. There will be changes in output power and efficiency between different fuels, but it can burn gas from offshore gas fields or fracked gas. It can also burn syngas which can be extracted from UK coal, increasing our fuel security.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2024/03/06/capell-aris-should-we-abandon-electricity-generation-using-gas/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Capell Aris: Should we abandon electricity generation using gas?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 03:40:14 am »
Remember when Natural Gas was the clean alternative?

It isn't ever clean enough, no matter what it is. :goalpost:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis