Author Topic: Florida now poised to become the first state in the nation to ban lab-grown meat  (Read 2562 times)

Offline libertybele

Florida now poised to become the first state in the nation to ban lab-grown meat

The GOP-controlled House of Representatives on Wednesday approved legislation that would prohibit the manufacturing for sale and distribution of lab-grown or “cultivated meat” in the Sunshine State.

Violators would be subject to a misdemeanor of the second degree.

The bill now goes to Gov. Ron DeSantis for his consideration — and he earlier indicated his support, saying, “We’re not going to do that fake meat.”

Advocates for cultivated meat say that the product could provide a viable alternative to the industrial meat industry, which they maintain is deleterious to the environment.

While several states have passed laws regarding the labeling of cultivated meat in recent years, no state has gone as far as the Florida Legislature in banning it outright — though there are similar proposals currently moving in Arizona, Alabama and New Hampshire. The nation of Italy also banned cultivated meat last November as well.

The agriculture establishment in Florida is in strong support of the legislation. That includes the Florida Farm Bureau, the Florida Poultry Federation, the Florida Cattlemen’s Association, and the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association..............

https://floridaphoenix.com/2024/03/06/florida-now-poised-to-become-the-first-state-in-the-nation-to-ban-lab-grown-meat/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Great news!  :thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

If only we could have someone in the White House to run the country as well as Florida is being run.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

If people want to eat lab grown meat that’s their business

While I agree with labeling it as such, I don’t agree with a ban on fake meat
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Agriculture is big, here, including ranching. I would be happy if they saved the fake food until the Captain can call for "Early Grey, hot" from a replicator somewhere in deep space.

Next question: Is lab created 'meat' Kosher?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Have to admit I'm split here. Living in Iowa, I don't have to tell you how big raising livestock is here.

I guess like you say - full disclosure. I can't stop people from eating crap if they wish. What's laughable is that it puts out more 'greenhouse gases' than actual livestock.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Of all the things to worry about in Florida.

Offline roamer_1

If only we could have someone in the White House to run the country as well as Florida is being run.

Yeah. That really sucks.

Offline libertybele

Of all the things to worry about in Florida.

??? Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the accomplishments the FL legislature and our governor have made in making us one of the freest states in the country. 

This one surprised me.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Have to admit I'm split here. Living in Iowa, I don't have to tell you how big raising livestock is here.

I guess like you say - full disclosure. I can't stop people from eating crap if they wish. What's laughable is that it puts out more 'greenhouse gases' than actual livestock.

I hear you on this issue -- I haven't read the bill yet so I don't know if it is prohibiting lab grown meat companies moving into FL or banning people from eating lab grown meat -- big difference.

What I believe it is trying to avoid is Big Brother banning real meat in FL and forcing people to eat lab grown meat.

Unknown to many  the beef cattle industry in Florida is big business. In 2023, Florida was the number nine beef cow state in the country with nearly 900 thousand head. Several of the top ten cattle cow-calf ranches in the country are in Florida.

SO -- yes -- FL has a reason to want to prohibit lab grown meat and protect the cattle ranchers.  When we first moved to FL, FL had a larger number of cattle ranches (30 years ago).

Offline roamer_1

I hear you on this issue -- I haven't read the bill yet so I don't know if it is prohibiting lab grown meat companies moving into FL or banning people from eating lab grown meat -- big difference.

What I believe it is trying to avoid is Big Brother banning real meat in FL and forcing people to eat lab grown meat.

Unknown to many  the beef cattle industry in Florida is big business. In 2023, Florida was the number nine beef cow state in the country with nearly 900 thousand head. Several of the top ten cattle cow-calf ranches in the country are in Florida.

SO -- yes -- FL has a reason to want to prohibit lab grown meat and protect the cattle ranchers.  When we first moved to FL, FL had a larger number of cattle ranches (30 years ago).

More than that, making sure that lab grown mean cannot be used to supplement natural meat, in the case of sausages and ground meats...

Offline libertybele

More than that, making sure that lab grown mean cannot be used to supplement natural meat, in the case of sausages and ground meats...

I didn't even think about that @roamer_1  but you are absolutely correct. Our main go to right now because it is still affordable is Angus ground sirloin. I buy a bunch and freeze it.  Chili, tacos, meatloaf, ziti, lasagna, spaghetti, goulash, etc.

I wonder if the FDA is going to require companies to label products with lab grown meat?  My guess is probably not as Uncle Sam will want to keep that as quiet as possible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:03:23 pm by libertybele »

Offline roamer_1

I didn't even think about that @roamer_1  but you are absolutely correct.

I wonder if the FDA is going to require companies to label products with lab grown meat?  My guess is probably not as Uncle Sam will want to keep that as quiet as possible.

Likely... And why farm-to-market products will become all that much more important.

Offline roamer_1

Since I been hammered up, I been buying sirloin hamburger patties a lot from the Costco. They just work out good for me - a 1/3 lb patty is a nice quantity of meat for a stir fry or for a patty. And they are handy - I can pop off a patty out of the freezer, throw it in the nuke, and 30 sec-to-a-side later, it's ready to be seasoned and thrown in the pan. So it's quick and easy, which I need as I remember how to stand again.

But there's this ungodly red goo that creeps out of that patty as it fries... This goobley gross stuff. I dunno what that crap is... And I can't help it much for now. But as soon as I can, I am off that stuff, and back to buying my beef on the hoof.

Now it's this lab-grown crap... more evil junk added to the meat.
I will be working toward growing my own again, bet your money on that.

Offline libertybele

Likely... And why farm-to-market products will become all that much more important.

I buy my beef only from Farmer Joes and their beef from Braveheart cattle company is labeled.  They do have other beef that doesn't have the Braveheart label that's cheaper but, so far the Braveheart beef is pretty darn tasty. I'm buying what I can and freezing it, but beef continues to rise in price.

https://www.braveheartcattle.com/
https://braveheartfoods.com/Why-Braveheart/What-we-are-all-about

I buy pork from Farmer Joe's as well -- it's Allegiance brand which is very tender; price is reasonable.

Chicken -- they buy from different places and don't always have the cuts I want.

Produce is local -- if not it's marked.  There's a company around here called 'From Seed to Table' that sells to them- a little pricey but usually pretty fresh.

The good thing is that the market is about 10 minutes from here if I take the back roads -- so it's driveable and when I get older I can still take the back roads and not worry about traffic.   Hopefully they'll stay in business.  They are normally pretty stocked and this time of year with the tourists down, pretty packed with people.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:21:10 pm by libertybele »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Since I been hammered up, I been buying sirloin hamburger patties a lot from the Costco. They just work out good for me - a 1/3 lb patty is a nice quantity of meat for a stir fry or for a patty. And they are handy - I can pop off a patty out of the freezer, throw it in the nuke, and 30 sec-to-a-side later, it's ready to be seasoned and thrown in the pan. So it's quick and easy, which I need as I remember how to stand again.

But there's this ungodly red goo that creeps out of that patty as it fries... This goobley gross stuff. I dunno what that crap is... And I can't help it much for now. But as soon as I can, I am off that stuff, and back to buying my beef on the hoof.

Now it's this lab-grown crap... more evil junk added to the meat.
I will be working toward growing my own again, bet your money on that.

Do you buy those patties "fresh" or frozen? @roamer_1  Most of the hamburger Costco Sam's Wal-Mart etc. that is "fresh" ground is really burger that comes in ten pound tubes that they regrind with ice to add moistnesss and redness to give it that fresh ground look. So that red goo is just water mixing with what blood is left.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

Do you buy those patties "fresh" or frozen? @roamer_1  Most of the hamburger Costco Sam's Wal-Mart etc. that is "fresh" ground is really burger that comes in ten pound tubes that they regrind with ice to add moistnesss and redness to give it that fresh ground look. So that red goo is just water mixing with what blood is left.

They are frozen, packaged patties.

I am fixin to get off of them, just like all the other convenience foods I have left behind - but mostly because I can stand to take the time to do differently, and because they are awful expensive. Almost 40 bucks for 18 1/3 patties. In fact, right now I have 1lb chubs coming over from the Kroger (Smiths) to try their meat out... A buck cheaper per pound than at the Costco.

Soon I will be back to buying 5-6 pounds at a time, cutting it up into 1 qt. zippy bags to go into the freezer, and as soon as possible, back to buying a quarter or half beef at a time... As I can.

I don't feel very comfortable with my meat freezers empty and gone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:56:46 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline LMAO

From the article….

“I don’t think the state of Florida should be choosing winners and losers and allow corporate capture to take place, where we’re basically bending laws to benefit specific industries,” said Orlando Democratic Rep. Anna Eskamani on Tuesday

Wow

I’m actually in agreement with a Democrat

But I agree. Let the free market choose. If people want to buy fake meat, then it’ll take off. If they don’t, it’ll crash

Government picking winners and losers is how we get “too big to fail”
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:28:57 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

From the article….

“I don’t think the state of Florida should be choosing winners and losers and allow corporate capture to take place, where we’re basically bending laws to benefit specific industries,” said Orlando Democratic Rep. Anna Eskamani on Tuesday

Wow

I’m actually in agreement with a Democrat

But I agree. Let the free market choose. If people want to buy fake meat, then it’ll take off. If they don’t, it’ll crash

Government picking winners and losers is how we get “too big to fail”

I am generally with you on that - Understanding that fake meat has already failed, and is only still there because someone is keeping it pumped up.

And secondly - I will reiterate - where it is a processed product, I would not want fake meat slipped in there as an additive and called meat. And I think the state has a duty in that case.

Offline Smokin Joe

I am generally with you on that - Understanding that fake meat has already failed, and is only still there because someone is keeping it pumped up.

And secondly - I will reiterate - where it is a processed product, I would not want fake meat slipped in there as an additive and called meat. And I think the state has a duty in that case.
Like with "American cheese" vs pasteurized process cheese food.

No thanks. Keep it all real meat.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Like with "American cheese" vs pasteurized process cheese food.

No thanks. Keep it all real meat.

That's right... In fact, I would wish that the current standards were not so lax. Folks already don't know the cancerous crap they're eating == And it partly ain't their fault.

Offline LMAO

I have no problem with forcing companies to  label fake meat as such or if it’s added to products so consumers can make informed choices

But I don’t favor an outright ban

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

I have no problem with forcing companies to  label fake meat as such or if it’s added to products so consumers can make informed choices

I dunno... I am right on the edge of that.
I think there are things that should not be consumed - Many of them - Things we would be better off without.

Take margarine as a rather benign example. Cheap, profitable hydrogenated vegetable oil made to copy the real thing - It too does a poor job, and we know damn well it ain't healthy for you after all...So much crap is allowed to be food that really should not be labeled as such.

And I know. I am flirting with a 'decider', which always gives me the willies. But the other side of that is that the FDA IS SUPPOSED to BE that decider. That's their job... to regulate food and drug to maintain a safe and regular standard.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Exactly. Label as such and let people choose. I'm curious myself. Weird concept.

Offline Smokin Joe

Nope. Full stop. No thanks. Why? Except for space exploration or something like it, what is the need?

If it is sold, the word "meat" should not even appear on the package.

Labeling something coming out of a 3-d printer or a tube "chicken" or "beef" is a mockery of both the animals and the God that delivered them to us for sustenance.   

Keep in mind the factories squeezing this stuff out are not going to be mom-and pop operations, unlike a chicken farm, small cattle or sheep ranch. This will end the small producers, and then the masses will be eating bugs, the lawn, or at the mercy of large corporations even more than they are now.

When they print your chickens, where are the eggs going to come from?

'Shortages' in product, contamination (intentional or accidental), and the entire supply will be controlled by a very few.

C S Lewis