Author Topic: Speaker Johnson urges GOP lawmakers to maintain decorum at State of the Union  (Read 1288 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Speaker Johnson urges GOP lawmakers to maintain decorum at State of the Union
by Mychael Schnell - 03/06/24 6:47 PM ET

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is urging GOP lawmakers to maintain decorum when President Biden delivers his State of the Union address Thursday night, after Republicans had a number of outbursts during last year’s speech.

Johnson made the request during a closed-door GOP conference meeting Wednesday morning, three Republican lawmakers who attended the gathering told The Hill.

“Decorum is the order of the day,” Johnson told members, according to one lawmaker.

“He said we should carry ourselves with good decorum,” another member said.

The plea from Johnson came one day before Biden is scheduled to deliver his State of the Union address to a divided Congress that includes many of his foremost Republican critics.

That dynamic was on full display last year, when some GOP lawmakers heckled the president throughout his speech in the House chamber. Cries of “secure the border” were heard at one point during the speech, and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) called Biden a “liar” when he was discussing potential cuts to Social Security and Medicare as part of a deal on the debt limit.

The heckling about Social Security and Medicare led to an unusual back-and-forth between Biden and his Republican critics, which prompted an agreement from individuals in the room that the two programs should remain intact.

“Well, I’m glad to see — and now, I tell you, I enjoy conversion,” Biden said, prompting laughs.

“Let’s all agree — and we apparently are — let’s stand up for seniors,” he later added.

Heckling from political opponents during the State of the Union address is not uncommon. Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) notably shouted “you lie” at then-President Obama in 2009.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4514306-speaker-johnson-urges-gop-lawmakers-to-maintain-decorum-at-state-of-the-union/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
State of the Union 2024: Laken Riley’s parents will not attend despite invite from Mike Collins
By
Rachel Schilke
March 6, 2024 6:03 pm

The parents of Laken Riley, a nursing student killed on the University of Georgia campus last month, will not attend President Joe Biden‘s State of the Union despite an invitation from Rep. Mike Collins (R-GA).

Collins announced on Wednesday that Riley’s parents declined his invitation to attend Biden’s address as his guest. The Georgia congressman led a moment of silence on the House floor last week in honor of the student, who was allegedly killed by a Venezuelan immigrant who had been arrested in 2022 for illegally crossing the border.

“I invited Laken Riley’s parents to the State of the Union address, but understandably, they have chosen to stay home as they grieve the loss of their daughter,” Collins said in a post on X. “Therefore, the seat reserved for my guest will remain vacant to honor Laken and all American victims of illegal alien crime.”

“As Joe Biden attempts to paint a rosy picture of the crime-ridden country he has created, he will look up at an empty seat that memorializes those we’ve lost because of his open border policies,” the congressman continued.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2906776/state-of-the-union-2024-laken-riley-parents-will-not-atten-invite-mike-collins/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

State of the Union 2024: Laken Riley’s parents will not attend despite invite from Mike Collins
By
Rachel Schilke
March 6, 2024 6:03 pm

The parents of Laken Riley, a nursing student killed on the University of Georgia campus last month, will not attend President Joe Biden‘s State of the Union despite an invitation from Rep. Mike Collins (R-GA).

Collins announced on Wednesday that Riley’s parents declined his invitation to attend Biden’s address as his guest. The Georgia congressman led a moment of silence on the House floor last week in honor of the student, who was allegedly killed by a Venezuelan immigrant who had been arrested in 2022 for illegally crossing the border.

“I invited Laken Riley’s parents to the State of the Union address, but understandably, they have chosen to stay home as they grieve the loss of their daughter,” Collins said in a post on X. “Therefore, the seat reserved for my guest will remain vacant to honor Laken and all American victims of illegal alien crime.”

“As Joe Biden attempts to paint a rosy picture of the crime-ridden country he has created, he will look up at an empty seat that memorializes those we’ve lost because of his open border policies,” the congressman continued.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/2906776/state-of-the-union-2024-laken-riley-parents-will-not-atten-invite-mike-collins/

I don’t blame them
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

What a crock --if he is blatantly lying about the border and the economy which we know that he will, why not call him out on it? He's an evil lying sack of crappola.  That's why I won't watch. Besides, I'm sure there will be plenty of feedback in here.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What a crock --if he is blatantly lying about the border and the economy which we know that he will, why not call him out on it? He's an evil lying sack of crappola.  That's why I won't watch. Besides, I'm sure there will be plenty of feedback in here.

I am with the family on this. Why make them suffer, looking at the piece of crap that let their baby be ruthlessly murdered?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
The person they really need to heckle is that moron they call a press secretary. 

She has to be worst excuse for a human being in decades.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Heckling Biden only makes us look worse. 

Let him speak.  The more he talks the lower his poll ratings go.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Heckling Biden only makes us look worse. 

Let him speak.  The more he talks the lower his poll ratings go.

100%

Anyone honest and in possession of their faculties understands that the Democrat treatment of Trump has actually strengthened him.  There are a lot of people who don't like Trump, but will vote for him because of Democrat lawfare and unfairness.

The flip side of that is that Republican behavior also can drive some people to vote for Biden.   Booing during the state of the union isn't going to win a single new vote, but it may lose some.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Does anyone really think he will have the stamina and clarity of thought to read a teleprompter for an hour.

Massive laughter might be the best and most damaging response to this human vegetable, and wretched excuse of a human.
Heckling won't be needed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Speaker Johnson....

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Speaker Johnson....

That was red meat for the base, but it ticked off a lot of other people and amplified the feeling that Democrats did not treat Trump fairly.

Offline LMAO

The person they really need to heckle is that moron they call a press secretary. 

She has to be worst excuse for a human being in decades.

The WH probably thought her race and gender would be a shield from any criticism

Any qualifications and abilities were way down their list
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Perfect respnse in unison would arms folded and utter silence.  Totally focus the SOTU on Biden's flubs and mumbling.  Don't give  the  MSM ANY sound bites otherwise.  The populus has been handed by the MSM carefully edited footage that hides Pedo Joe's disability.

Let Biden be the focus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

That was red meat for the base, but it ticked off a lot of other people and amplified the feeling that Democrats did not treat Trump fairly.

It was also a childish act

Many of Trump’s detractors share similar characteristics to him

Barry Goldwater

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The best "treatment" the Pubbies could offer ol' white joe would be NOT TO SHOW UP AT ALL.

Stay home, go somewhere else, let him speak to a half-empty room before the cameras.

Offline mrclose

An in-depth display of how one carries on after a high dose of Adderall!😁

(Absolutely no chance of dozing off!)🤣

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self