Author Topic: A Moment of Truth for the Army's Chief Laser Weapon  (Read 150 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Moment of Truth for the Army's Chief Laser Weapon
« on: March 06, 2024, 02:50:34 pm »
A Moment of Truth for the Army's Chief Laser Weapon

Military.com | By Jared Keller
Published March 04, 2024 at 5:37pm ET

After nearly a decade in development, the Army's primary vehicle-mounted laser weapon is on a collision course with its most fearsome foe yet -- dust.

The service has deployed four Directed Energy Maneuver-Short Range Air Defense, or DE M-SHORAD, prototypes -- Stryker infantry carrier vehicles outfitted with 50-kilowatt laser weapons systems -- to the Middle East for "real world testing" in an overseas operational environment, Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. James Mingus recently told Breaking Defense.

The four prototypes reportedly arrived in the U.S. Central Command area of operations in early February, with the Army undertaking "initial testing activities" on the path to a future live-fire demonstration, according to Breaking Defense.

While the DE M-SHORAD system has already undergone testing at U.S. military facilities like the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, Central Command offers the potential for testing amid real-world challenges like dust storms and other atmospheric phenomena that, according to the Congressional Research Service, could render any directed-energy weapon essentially ineffective.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/03/04/moment-of-truth-armys-chief-laser-weapon.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson