Author Topic: General Atomics eyes detect-and-avoid radar and algorithms to enable unmanned MQ-9A to fly in civil  (Read 192 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
General Atomics eyes detect-and-avoid radar and algorithms to enable unmanned MQ-9A to fly in civil airspace
March 4, 2024
The General Atomics detect-and-avoid system for the Reaper UAV uses the company's air-to-air radar (ATAR) and a detect-and-avoid software algorithm.
John Keller

PATUXENT RIVER NAS, Md. – U.S. Navy unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) experts needed a detect-and-avoid system to enable the U.S. Marine Corps MQ-9A Reaper attack UAV to fly safely near other crewed and uncrewed aircraft. They found their solution from General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. in Poway, Calif.

Officials of the Naval Air Systems Command at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Md., announced a $30.9 million order to General Atomics this week to develop and certify the MQ-9A Detect and Avoid System for the Marine Corps.

This detect-and-avoid system will enable the Marine Corps MQ-9A to meet the "see and avoid" requirements of flying in controlled U.S. airspace. It is an alternative means of compliance, known as detect and avoid.

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/sensors/article/14305914/general-atomics-aeronautical-systems-inc-unmanned-detect-and-avoid-radar
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It's a bad idea to put drones in civil airspace except as a last resort.  The problem is how will pilots react to seeing the drones.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson