Author Topic: Afghan Immigrants in the United States  (Read 131 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Afghan Immigrants in the United States
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:43:39 pm »
Afghan Immigrants in the United States
FEBRUARY 15, 2024
SPOTLIGHT
By Julian Montalvo and Jeanne Batalova

In the past decade, the Afghan immigrant population in the United States has grown dramatically, as the U.S. military presence in Afghanistan ended. Between 2010 and 2022, the Afghan immigrant population nearly quadrupled, from approximately 54,000 to 195,000, while the overall U.S. immigrant population grew by 16 percent. This substantial increase can be attributed to years of war and political instability in Afghanistan that generated a steady flow of humanitarian migrants, as well as the withdrawal of U.S. and allied troops in 2021.

The U.S. withdrawal marked a turning point for Afghan migrants globally, and particularly in the United States. The Biden administration launched Operation Allies Welcome (OAW) in 2021, which gave 76,000 evacuated Afghans humanitarian parole to enter the United States. Afghan immigrants residing in the United States in 2022 represented about 0.4 percent of the total 46.2 million U.S. immigrants. The United States is far from the top country for Afghan migrants. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) estimated there were about 5.7 million Afghan refugees worldwide as of 2023, the large majority of whom were in Iran and Pakistan (3.4 million and 1.9 million, respectively).

Conflict drove migration from Afghanistan to the United States for decades before the 2021 U.S. withdrawal, including during the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, subsequent turmoil after the fall of the Soviet Union, the civil war of the 1990s, and two decades of U.S. presence in the country. Since the U.S.-led invasion in 2001, many Afghans worked as interpreters, translators, and other professionals with or on behalf of the U.S. government.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/afghan-immigrants-united-states
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson