Author Topic: Caitlin Clark DROPS 35pts, BREAKS NCAA Scoring Record  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Caitlin Clark DROPS 35pts, BREAKS NCAA Scoring Record
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 04:46:06 am »
Records are made to be broken. She did great. Pistol Pete (previous record holder, I remember him, too) was one hell of a shooter.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 05:25:10 am »
Records are made to be broken. She did great. Pistol Pete (previous record holder, I remember him, too) was one hell of a shooter.

Whenever I watch her, I get Larry Bird vibes. She has set the whole state on fire, I can't recall anything like this since the Dan Gable and Hayden Fry days in the 80's.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 05:09:16 pm »
It's disingenuous to say she broke Maravich's record, unless you add a whole lot of asterisks. Different ball, different rules (e.g., three-point line), and a heck of lot more games played.

She's an amazing player, one of the best female college players ever. But she shouldn't be compared to Maravich. Men's and women's basketball are two different games.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 05:19:55 pm »
It's disingenuous to say she broke Maravich's record, unless you add a whole lot of asterisks. Different ball, different rules (e.g., three-point line), and a heck of lot more games played.

She's an amazing player, one of the best female college players ever. But she shouldn't be compared to Maravich. Men's and women's basketball are two different games.

Agree. What she has accomplished is amazing but it should not be compared to Pistol Pete. NCAA rules prohibited true freshman from playing in Maravich’s day, and slow down game strategy during a time of no shot clock, just to name a few more differences.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 12:25:11 am »
She is the women's scoring champion. That distinction should be noted.
It would be like when an Iowa high school girl, Denise Long, back in the sixties scored over 100 points in a game, and people raved about it.
For one thing, Iowa girls still played the dumb six players on a side, half court basketball.
Let us give due praise to Clark and other females who set records, but let's not say they broke the record. They broke the women's record.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 01:42:01 pm »
USA Today bemoans the attention white girls like Clark have been getting. The game is black, dontcha know? No mo' white stars!
Women's basketball needs faces of future to be Black. Enter JuJu Watkins and Hannah Hidalgo
Lindsay Schnell, USA TODAY via Yahoo sports
Thu, Mar 7, 2024, 5:41 AM

JuJu Watkins crossed over her defender, stepped into the lane and floated a pretty runner into the hoop. The whistle blew, and Watkins stepped to the line for an and-1. Over the Galen Center loudspeaker, the voice of DJ Malski, the Trojans’ in-house hype man, rang above the crowd.

“Yeahhhhhhh, Ju,” Malski crowed as Watkins swished her free throw attempt.  ...

With Caitlin Clark headed to the 2024 WNBA draft, where she’s projected No. 1 overall, Watkins, the nation’s second leading scorer this season behind Clark, is positioned to become the face of women’s basketball. She'll be joined by Notre Dame point guard Hannah Hidalgo, the other favorite for freshman of the year.

Not lost on any of the powerbrokers in the game: Both of these players are Black. And in a game built by Black women, it matters that the faces of the future look like the faces of the past.

Over the past few years, as women’s basketball has exploded in popularity, much of the media and marketing attention has focused on three prominent white players: Clark, UConn junior Paige Bueckers and Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu, who graduated in 2020.

Too often, the Black players who built women’s hoops — and who now dominate the professional level, where the WNBA is 70% Black — haven’t been acknowledged. Occasionally their existence has been wiped from the record books completely, like with former Kansas standout Lynette Woodard's Division-I scoring record not being recognized by the NCAA.   ...
This, of course, is utter nonsense. I'm pretty sure the skills and accomplishments of Cheryl Miller, Cheryl Swoopes, Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker, Brittney Griner, et al., have more than been "acknowledged."

On the other hand, are we supposed to discount Diana Taurasi, Nancy Lieberman, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Ann Meyers, et al., for being too pale?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 05:49:15 pm »
I'm all for women's basketball, but we'll see how many people watch the WNBA just because of Clark.
 I stopped watching the NBA four years ago because of the St. George Floyd kneeling epidemic which I'm fairly sure the players in the WNBA most likely supported wholeheartedly.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 06:43:30 pm »
I'm all for women's basketball, but we'll see how many people watch the WNBA just because of Clark.
 I stopped watching the NBA four years ago because of the St. George Floyd kneeling epidemic which I'm fairly sure the players in the WNBA most likely supported wholeheartedly.
Yes, they most certainly did. They were just as bad as the men.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 04:53:52 am »
USA Today bemoans the attention white girls like Clark have been getting. The game is black, dontcha know? No mo' white stars!This, of course, is utter nonsense. I'm pretty sure the skills and accomplishments of Cheryl Miller, Cheryl Swoopes, Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker, Brittney Griner, et al., have more than been "acknowledged."

On the other hand, are we supposed to discount Diana Taurasi, Nancy Lieberman, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Ann Meyers, et al., for being too pale?
And Pat Summitt, who practically created women's basketball as we know it. Before her, the women's game was as different from basketball as softball is from baseball. It was basically gym class ball, with offense and defense staying on the same sides of the court all game. But Summitt happened to transition just as the game was changing... and she played a key role in bringing the women who grew up with the gym-class style into full-on basketball as we know it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 12:38:02 pm »
I played 6-player basketball my freshman year of HS. It was ridiculous.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 03:00:42 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQ6MOZDTS8

Iowa women win the Big 10 championship.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 12:47:04 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQ6MOZDTS8

Iowa women win the Big 10 championship.
I haven't watched basketball much since high school, but that was impressive.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis