Author Topic: The Left-Right Divide Is Not Bridgeable  (Read 741 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Left-Right Divide Is Not Bridgeable
« on: March 05, 2024, 08:59:17 pm »
https://townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2024/03/05/dennis-prager-n2636068

Townhall
3/05/2024
by Dennis Prager

Millions of Americans, depressed by the ideological divide in America, harbor a wish that something or someone can bridge this divide.

This wish is understandable. But it is fantasy. The divide is unbridgeable. One might as well wish that daily consumption of a hot fudge sundae will lead to weight loss.

To cite a few samples:

How are we to bridge the gap between those who believe men can become women and women can become men and those who don't believe this? Between those who believe men menstruate and those who believe only women menstruate?

How are we to bridge the divide between those who believe "colorblind" is a racist notion and those who believe "colorblind" is the antidote to racism?

How are we to bridge the divide between those who believe Israel is the villain and Hamas is the victim and those who believe Israel is the victim and Hamas, which openly states its dedication to annihilating Israel and its Jewish inhabitants, is the villain, morally indistinguishable from the Nazis?

How are we to bridge the divide between those who believe young children should be brought to drag queen shows and those who believe this sexualization -- and sexual confusion -- of children is morally detestable?

How are we to bridge the divide between those who believe reducing the number of police will reduce violent crime and those who believe reducing the number of police will increase violent crime?

How are we to bridge the divide between those who believe in suppressing free speech if they deem any given speech "hateful" or "misinformation" and those who believe in free speech?

Every one of these positions is mutually contradictory. And this is just a partial list.
[...]
If you still think the left-right divide is bridgeable, it is only because it is too painful to confront the tragic reality of contemporary American life: Today's left-right divide is at least as great as the North-South divide before and during the Civil War. The only thing that remains the same is that it was the Democratic Party that opposed freedom then, and it is the Democratic Party that opposes freedom today.

More at URL above...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The Left-Right Divide Is Not Bridgeable
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 09:05:48 pm »

I don't think it is.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 09:18:39 pm »
Leftism has become a faith based religion who's adherents are positively theocratic in the way they look at the world. They're not going to give it up till they're dead.

It will not be bridged except by attrition.

The Republic is lost.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 09:42:17 pm »
I at one time thought it could be bridged, but no longer. The two sides drift further and further apart.

And sadly, a house divided cannot stand.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 09:56:25 pm »
Leftism has become a faith based religion who's adherents are positively theocratic in the way they look at the world. They're not going to give it up till they're dead.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 12:53:25 am »

No, it's not even a religion.

It's a system of mass delusion fostering Mass Formation Psychosis by careful control of the information diet of those willing to believe.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 05:09:19 pm »
I at one time thought it could be bridged, but no longer. The two sides drift further and further apart.

And sadly, a house divided cannot stand.
And when the divide is most stark among men vs. women of reproductive age, we start collapsing quickly.

It will not be a national divorce, it will be a collapse.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 05:24:38 pm »
Not fixable, and the sooner we realize it, and invoke the divorce the less painful and damaging it will be.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 11:19:47 pm »
Gee, folks.

I'm heartened by the replies in this thread.
Seems like every poster foresees some kind of "national divorce" in the future.

But... think back, 'way back, all the way to around 1775.
The Colonists were certainly upset (if not quite yet "rebellious") with the harsh conduct of Britain in their dealings with the colonies.

So... what did they do?
They DIDN'T just start the revolution.
Instead, they called a get-together with delegates from the colonies to address the problems.

I understand that, at first, they tried to explore a possible reconciliation with Britain. But that eventually changed, especially after incidents up in New England.

It was from this meeting -- the "Continental Congress", and the second one that followed -- that the pathway towards an entirely new country was first traveled.

We see what they accomplished in their time.
Could it be done again?

Is it time yet for that new "Heartland Continental Congress" ???

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 05:57:22 am »
I agree with everything Prager said except the part about left and right being different on the issue of hate speech.   Trump himself has called for members of the media to be prosecuted for treason because they have been unfair to him.  That's being no better than the Democrats on that issue.

But other than that comment, yes.  The differences between left and right are unbridgeable.

Of course, there are a lot of folks who are neither hard right nor hard left, are not all that politically active, and value stability over chaos.  They likely are the majority even if they lean one way or the other.  Those people aren't anywhere near wanting a national divorce.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 05:59:05 am by Maj. Bill Martin »