Author Topic: Train Up Your Child…  (Read 165 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Train Up Your Child…
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:26:34 pm »
Texas Scorecard 2/23/2024

Reflections on Life & Liberty

Train Up Your Child…

Modern education is designed to produce serfs, not champions of liberty.

In the 1980s, Texas Attorney General Jim Mattox parroted the long-standing leftist line that parents shouldn’t be trusted to raise their kids, let alone educate them at home. The Texas judiciary eventually laughed those arguments out of court, but that school of thought – if you will pardon the pun – drives education policy around the nation. And it does so at the peril of the republic.

If reading the Bible does nothing else, it should drive home the importance of parenthood. If we take nothing else from the Bible’s unflinching narratives about families and nations, it could be that no responsibility is more serious than educating the next generation.

Consider the story of Abimelech, one of Gideon’s seventy sons. Yes, seventy. While Gideon was a hero early in his life, his final days saw a man who poorly handled fame and fortune. He led his countrymen astray, and as we see in the life of Abimelech, he did an even worse job with his own kids.

Gideon had refused to become a king, which was a good thing, but Abimelech had other designs. He killed all his brothers except one and went about the task of subduing the country. Eventually, his dreams were dashed when he was struck on the head by a rock dropped on him by an unknown woman. As he lay dying, Abimelech ordered his armor-bearer to run him through, so no one would say a woman killed him. (But all you ladies know the score.)

More: https://texasscorecard.com/podcasts/train-up-your-child/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Train Up Your Child…
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 02:32:58 pm »
The biggest mistake ever made in Texas was including free public education in our constitution.

If I had my way there would be no such thing as a government run school (indoctrination center) anywhere in this country.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien