Author Topic: Biden to form ‘strike force’ to go after price-gouging  (Read 331 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden to form ‘strike force’ to go after price-gouging
by Taylor Giorno - 03/05/24 5:00 AM ET

President Biden will announce Tuesday the formation of a “strike force” to hold companies accountable for price-gouging practices.

The announcement comes days before the State of the Union, where Biden is expected to make his economic pitch to Congress and voters ahead of the pivotal 2024 election.

The strike force, which will be co-chaired by the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), aims to coordinate the Biden administration’s efforts to rein in anti-competitive and unfair practices and lower prices in key sectors including food, prescription drugs and transportation.

“Even as prices have come down on important items like a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs, some corporations aren’t passing those savings on to consumers,” National Economic Advisor Lael Brainard told reporters. “Instead, some corporations are tacking on extra fees, hiding costs and sometimes even breaking the law.”

Republicans have pushed back on the narrative that corporate profiteering is driving inflation, which topped 9 percent in summer 2022 and has steadily fallen to around 3 percent in recent months, contending government spending is actually the culprit. The U.S. is one of many countries to suffer from high inflation in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Brainard called on congressional Republicans to “join this effort instead of standing in the way.”

more
https://thehill.com/business/4507871-biden-strike-force-price-gouging-junk-fees-inflation/more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Biden to form ‘strike force’ to go after price-gouging
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:12:13 pm »
They really want price controls.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 03:12:40 pm »
This is very similar to what every tyrant does when their policies fail
Stalin did this. And so did Hugo Chavez. Both blamed their failed policies on industrialists, farmers, business owners, etc. etc.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 03:39:46 pm »
Doing everything but going after the actual problems!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien