Author Topic: Republican introduces 'Laken Riley Act' to force ICE to retain illegal aliens for theft, says tragic  (Read 586 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EWS
Republican introduces 'Laken Riley Act' to force ICE to retain illegal aliens for theft, says tragic murder is a 'wakeup call'
PAUL SACCA
MARCH 04, 2024

In response to the brutal murder of Laken Hope Riley, a Republican lawmaker has introduced legislation that would require the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to detain any illegal immigrants charged with theft or burglary.

Rep. Mike Collins (R-Ga.) introduced the Laken Riley Act on Friday, which would "require the Secretary of Homeland Security to take into custody aliens who have been charged in the United States with theft, and for other purposes."

The bill is dedicated to Laken Riley, the 22-year-old college nursing student who was recently murdered on the campus of the University of Georgia. Riley died from blunt force trauma.

The suspect in the horrific slaying is 26-year-old Jose Antonio Ibarra — an illegal immigrant from Venezuela. He has been charged with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment, kidnapping, hindering a 911 call, and concealing Riley’s death.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/republican-introduces-laken-riley-act-to-force-ice-to-retain-illegal-aliens-for-theft-says-tragic-murder-is-a-wakeup-call
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It has zero chance of becoming law and, if I know it, he knows it.  It is disgusting using the poor girl's murder to get his name in lots of newspapers by introducing a bill that is a nothing burger.  I have to remember democrats aren't the only ones capable of such sleeze. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Approves ‘Laken Riley Act,’ Mandating DHS Detain Criminal Illegal Aliens

John Binder 7 Mar 2024

House Republicans, and a few dozen House Democrats, passed the “Laken Riley Act,” which would require the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to detain illegal aliens like Jose Antonio Ibarra, who is accused of kidnapping and murdering Laken Riley in Athens, Georgia.

On February 22, 22-year-old nursing student Laken Riley was found murdered in a wooded area on the University of Georgia campus after she had gone for a morning run. The following day, Ibarra from Venezuela was arrested and charged with her murder.

Months before Riley’s murder, Ibarra was issued a citation for shoplifting in Athens and was later issued a bench warrant for failing to appear in court on those charges. Despite the charge, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) did not take him into custody.

The Laken Riley Act, introduced by Rep. Mike Collins (R-GA), would require the DHS to take into custody illegal aliens arrested, charged, or convicted for burglary, theft, larceny, or shoplifting.

Ahead of President Joe Biden’s State of the Union (SOTU) address, 37 House Democrats joined House Republicans to pass the legislation. Meanwhile, 170 House Democrats voted against the legislation, while 11 House members did not vote.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/03/07/house-approves-laken-riley-act-mandating-dhs-detain-criminal-illegal-aliens/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Good on them for doing so but I seriously doubt it will ever become law.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

170 House Democrats voted against the legislation, while 11 House members did not vote.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mod2

Online mountaineer

Speaker Johnson issues grim warning after 170 Democrats oppose Laken Riley Act: 'There will be more victims'
Chris Enloe
March 08, 2024
House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is warning that more innocent Americans may become victims of violent crime at the hands of illegal immigrants if "Democrats have their way."

Before President Joe Biden delivered the State of the Union address Thursday night, the House passed the Laken Riley Act. The final vote was 251-170. Every Republican voted for it, and 37 Democrats joined them.

The bill requires federal authorities to detain illegal immigrants arrested for or charged with "any burglary, theft, larceny, or shoplifting offense." If the federal government doesn't comply with the detention requirements, the bill empowers states to sue the federal government. Importantly, the legislation also condemns Biden's "open-borders policies" and places responsibility for Riley's death at the president's feet because of his policies.

It's not clear whether such a law would have prevented Riley's death, but the Venezuelan immigrant charged for murdering her, Jose Ibarra, was arrested for shoplifting last year.  ...
The Blaze
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org