Author Topic: Everything to know about the IRS’s new free tax filing system  (Read 675 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Everything to know about the IRS’s new free tax filing system
By
Annabella Rosciglione
March 4, 2024 2:17 pm

Taxpayers in 12 states are now able to file their taxes for free, thanks to the IRS’s new online tool.

Direct File is an attempt to compete with commercial companies, such as TurboTax, for direct filing.

“We will be working closely with the 12 pilot states in this test run, which will help us gather information about the future direction of the Direct File program,” IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel said. 

The site is open to taxpayers in Arizona, California, Florida, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. Alaska, originally included, is no longer part of the pilot program. The website doesn’t support state returns, but taxpayers in Arizona, California, Massachusetts, and New York will be directed to a state-supported tax preparation pool.

During its pilot season, the Direct File site supports limited tax situations. A testing period of the site will run from March 4 to March 12. The website will then fully open the site to all eligible users on March 12. The website said the IRS will use the information from the testing period in the future to “continue improving the experience of tax filing.”

Only those with straightforward tax returns will be eligible for the pilot program.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/2901655/everything-to-know-about-the-irss-new-free-tax-filing-system/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Everything to know about the IRS’s new free tax filing system
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:01:43 pm »
Nothing is free, especially concerning the IRS. I'm not interested.  Our taxes are done.  I'll send them a check via certified mail around April 15.  They audited us again last year.  We'll see what happens this year.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 12:43:36 am »
I do my taxes myself, and send in paper forms.
Just dropped them off at the post office this afternoon.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 01:36:37 am »
YIKES!  Sorry you got audited.  I've never had that honor.  happy77

We've been audited 4 times.  No real reason for the audits other than from what I can guess political.  The last two audits have been downright ridiculous. Last audit we owed no money.  We received a letter saying that after reviewing our return that our return was correct and we didn't owe any money. Huh?  Once I went back to school, claimed the appropriate allowed deductions and had to prove my loan -- only I didn't take out a loan I paid for expenses out of pocket -- I had to prove that there was no loan and paid for items myself. Luckily I had all the receipts.  Once I had to prove that I was drawing social security even though it said right on the form not to send the form to the IRS. Another time I believe that the dispute was for about $15 or so.We don't have a whole lot of income...so...them saying that they are targeting the wealthy is just plain bogus.  Once the IRS loves you for whatever reason, they just keep loving you.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 01:59:00 am »
All anyone needs to know about the IRS is that they are not here to help us, their job is squeeze every possible penny out of Americans......to give to the illegal aliens invading America.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:51:14 am »
YIKES!  Sorry you got audited.  I've never had that honor.  happy77

Three times.