Author Topic: Federal appeals court to allow controversial Texas immigration law to take effect, [updated]  (Read 1234 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Federal appeals court to allow controversial Texas immigration law to take effect, if SCOTUS doesn’t intervene

By Priscilla Alvarez, CNN

Published 6:49 PM EST, Sun March 3, 2024

CNN  —

A federal appeals court granted a temporary stay of a lower court’s decision to block the enforcement of a controversial Texas immigration law, paving the way for it to go into effect this week if the Supreme Court doesn’t intervene.

Last week, a federal judge in Austin, Texas, blocked the state government from implementing Senate Bill 4, which would allow state law enforcement authorities to arrest and detain people they suspect of entering the country illegally.

Judge David Alan Ezra wrote in his Thursday decision to halt the law that “If allowed to proceed, SB 4 could open the door to each state passing its own version of immigration laws.”

Texas appealed the ruling, with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott saying, “We will not back down in our fight to protect our state — and our nation — from President Biden’s border crisis.”

Over the weekend, the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals granted a stay of Ezra’s decision but put its ruling on hold for seven days, allowing time for the Biden administration to go to the Supreme Court.

The law remains blocked only until March 9 unless the Supreme Court keeps it on hold. It was originally set to go into effect March 5.

more
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/03/politics/texas-immigration-law-appeals-court/index.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:45:28 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Better than a kick in the butt I guess.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Paxton and Abbott needs to get creative, and invoke some form or fashion of Force Majeure, contending the U.S. Government did not meet its contractual obligation to address the invasion.  There are at least 10M Texans who pay up every April 15h, and are not getting services rendered.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IMHO original intent was for federal laws to be enforced at all levels, not just by federal agents.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

IMHO original intent was for federal laws to be enforced at all levels, not just by federal agents.

And thereby, unenforceable. Any LEO can detain, for whatever reason that comes into his head (ask me how I know)... and thereby, through investigation (papers please), illegal status will be found out, and processed locally.

Offline berdie

:thumbsup:

Online libertybele

And thereby, unenforceable. Any LEO can detain, for whatever reason that comes into his head (ask me how I know)... and thereby, through investigation (papers please), illegal status will be found out, and processed locally.

Don't sheriffs have greater jurisdiction/authority over local law enforcement??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kambree
@KamVTV
·
2m
THIS. IS. HUGE!

A lower court overturned it, but now a federal appeals court is allowing our new Texas immigration law to take effect this week!

Law enforcement officers in Texas can arrest & jail any illegal alien crossing the border.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The jurisdiction of the 5th Circuit covers Louisiana and Mississippi as well as Texas, so if those states want to pass THEIR OWN laws permitting arrest and detention of illegals, they're good to go (again, until the U.S. Supreme Court says otherwise).

To be immune from challenge, I would think the language would have to either be identical to that of the Texas law, or very "close"...

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nick Sortor
@nicksortor
🚨 #BREAKING: SUPREME COURT TEMPORARILY BARS TEXAS FROM ARRESTING ILLEGALS

And that’s because Biden filed an emergency motion with the Supreme Court demanding that they PERMANENTLY BLOCK Texas from protecting itself from the invasion.

Meanwhile, Biden and the democrats continue to whine and complain that this is somehow Trump’s fault.

Texas will not be allowed to arrest or deport illegals until the Supreme Court issues a final ruling on the issue.

WHEN WILL DEMOCRATS FINALLY WAKE UP AND DEMAND BIDEN STOP THIS INVASION?
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court temporarily blocks new Texas immigration enforcement law
Justice Samuel Alito issued an order that puts the law on hold while the justices determine what next steps to take.

March 4, 2024, 3:47 PM CST / Updated March 4, 2024, 5:11 PM CST
By Lawrence Hurley

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday temporarily blocked a new Texas immigration law in response to a Biden administration request.

In an order issued by conservative Justice Samuel Alito, the court froze a lower court decision that would have allowed the law to go into effect on Sunday.

The ruling is now blocked until March 13, giving all nine justices more time to determine what next steps to take.

Alito also ordered Texas to respond to the Biden administration request by March 11.

The law in question, known as SB4, allows police to arrest migrants who illegally cross the border from Mexico and imposes criminal penalties.

The dispute is the latest clash between the Biden administration and Texas over immigration enforcement on the U.S.-Mexico border.

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/biden-administration-asks-supreme-court-block-texas-immigration-law-rcna141761
Support the USO

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
March 04, 2024 | Press Release

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/news/releases/attorney-general-ken-paxton-secures-emergency-relief-favor-texas-border-security-law

Attor­ney Gen­er­al Ken Pax­ton Secures Emer­gency Relief In Favor of Texas Bor­der Secu­ri­ty Law

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton successfully secured an emergency stay of a district court ruling that would have blocked Texas’s new border security law known as SB 4 from taking effect.

The emergency stay granted by the Fifth Circuit has itself been stayed for seven days to allow the federal government to seek review by the Supreme Court of the United States. Further, the Fifth Circuit ordered that this appeal be expedited and argued immediately.

SB 4 was adopted to address the ongoing crisis at the southern border, which hurts Texans more than anyone else. SB 4 mirrors federal law making it a crime to illegally enter or reenter the country. It also enables Texas law enforcement to assist federal efforts by detaining and ordering aliens to return to the country from which they illegally entered.

To read the order, click here.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Alexandra
@SLogmein

It looks like the Biden regime just appealed to SCOTUS.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 12:39:06 am by Elderberry »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Supreme Court temporarily blocks new Texas immigration enforcement law

NBC News By Lawrence Hurley 3/4/2024

The Supreme Court on Monday temporarily blocked a new Texas immigration law in response to a Biden administration request.

In an order issued by conservative Justice Samuel Alito, the court froze a lower court decision that would have allowed the law to go into effect Sunday.

The ruling is now blocked until March 13, giving all nine justices more time to determine what next steps to take.

Alito also ordered Texas to respond to the Biden administration request by March 11.

The law in question, known as SB4, allows police to arrest migrants who illegally cross the border from Mexico and imposes criminal penalties.

The dispute is the latest clash between the Biden administration and Texas over immigration enforcement on the U.S.-Mexico border.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/biden-administration-asks-supreme-court-block-texas-immigration-law-rcna141761

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Go all Rawhide on their illegal asses.  Head 'em up, move 'em out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm still waiting for someone to show me the constitutional language that limits enforcement of federal law to federal agents.

As in why did Texas have to pass a new law to do this?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

Pretty darned exciting news!!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Good show, Texas.

Now it's time for Florida to pass a similar law, to be enforced against the coming "Haitian flood".

Keep the law identical (in language) to that of Texas (or at least "as close as possible") -- the idea being that it will closely conform to "the Texas precedent" that has been set by the Appeals Court.

Mr. DeSantis, start calling your legislators TODAY.