Author Topic: Is the United States overestimating China’s power?  (Read 1007 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is the United States overestimating China’s power?
« on: March 04, 2024, 04:58:49 pm »
Is the United States overestimating China’s power?
By Dan Murphy, Harvard Kennedy School
 Friday, Mar 1

Editor’s note: This commentary was first published in The Conversation.

Which country is the greatest threat to the United States? The answer, according to a large proportion of Americans, is clear: China.

Half of all Americans responding to a mid-2023 survey from the Pew Research Center cited China as the biggest risk to the U.S., with Russia trailing in second with 17%. Other surveys, such as from the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, show similar findings.

Senior figures in recent U.S. administrations appear to agree with this assessment. In 2020, John Ratcliffe, director of national intelligence under President Donald Trump, wrote that Beijing “intends to dominate the U.S. and the rest of the planet economically, militarily and technologically.”

The White House’s current National Defense Strategy is not so alarmist, referring to China as the U.S.’s “pacing challenge” — a reference that, in the words of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, apparently means China has “the intent to reshape the international order and, increasingly, the power to do so.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2024/03/01/is-the-united-states-overestimating-chinas-power/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Is the United States overestimating China’s power?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:03:17 pm »
China can never defeat us by force of arms, but they are doing an excellent job of doing it from within.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 05:46:03 pm »
China can never defeat us by force of arms, but they are doing an excellent job of doing it from within.

By their population alone, I would say you're actually wrong.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 06:40:22 pm »
Better to overestimate China than underestimate.

The Chinese Communist Party is destroying America from the inside out.

Anyone who says we overestimate China is probably a spy or useful idtiot for the Chinese Communist Party.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 06:42:14 pm »
Better to overestimate China than underestimate.

The Chinese Communist Party is destroying America from the inside out.

Anyone who says we overestimate China is probably a spy or useful idtiot for the Chinese Communist Party.

Agreed. China is a threat.  Also,  we need to remember the Chinese militants coming through our borders; both southern and northern.  China buying up farmland and American companies also needs to stop.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 06:42:36 pm »

Exactly!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 10:00:22 pm »
We overestimated Nazi progress on the Atom bomb, and as a result, we got there first.

The danger is in underestimating Chinese capabilites, and their willingness to use germ warfare (again), and other subterfuge to destroy us from within or weaken us so they can destroy us from without. It's no secret that current members of our government have been in bed with the Chinese, and they are not to be trusted, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 10:53:29 pm »
We overestimated Nazi progress on the Atom bomb, and as a result, we got there first.

The danger is in underestimating Chinese capabilites, and their willingness to use germ warfare (again), and other subterfuge to destroy us from within or weaken us so they can destroy us from without. It's no secret that current members of our government have been in bed with the Chinese, and they are not to be trusted, either.

I have always doubted the use of a nuclear bomb to dominate. Why destroy the riches you wish to dominate?

I figure it will be biologic, stealthy invasion or destruction of the infrastructure thru the internet/satellites.

I'll be back...I'm going to hide under my desk.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 11:02:49 pm »

I have always doubted the use of a nuclear bomb to dominate. Why destroy the riches you wish to dominate?

I figure it will be biologic, stealthy invasion or destruction of the infrastructure thru the internet/satellites.

I remember in grade school practicing drills to hide under our desks....thinking about it, how futile it would have really been anyways.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 12:38:09 am »

It wasn't so much to dominate as provide the sort of shock and awe that would lead to a surrender, rather than an invasion and fighting for every inch of the Japanese home islands. The argument can be made that the sheer terror of an entire city going up in a flash saved millions of allied and Japanese lives in the long run, millions who would have attacked and defended and fought over every foot of soil.

Even though we did not want the Soviets, who after the war were the most likely to develop atomic weapons to have them (because there was deep distrust of the Soviets, and with good reason), I question whether we actively used them or anything but the quiet threat of being the only nation on Earth to have workable Atomic weapons to dominate. If we did, we did a poor job of it, as we gave most of Eastern Europe to the Soviets, rather than taking them actively under our own penumbra. That division might have gone quite differently otherwise.

Had we not supplied the Soviets with the materiel and knowledge to help them develoop their weapons industry, they would not have been quite the force they were on the Eastern Front, effectively splitting the Nazi war effort into three fronts: Eastern, Western, and the domestic front of extermination camps and secret police, which had to consume tremendous resources that could have been diverted to the war effort were they not used to kill more civilians than the total number of combat troops KIA for the entire Axis.

The only bomb that made sense for seizing territory or riches would be the neutron bomb (kills people but leaves most infrastructure). Nowadays, however, all that would need to be done is disrupt shipping, computer transactions, and banking (all interlaced), and wait for the survivors to kill each other over the scraps.  All of those systems are seriously dependent on electronics, and a few large EMP devices would make a mess of things.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 12:39:47 am »
I remember in grade school practicing drills to hide under our desks....thinking about it, how futile it would have really been anyways.
Stupid turtle, we don't have a shell...

We had signs up in the taverns that said "In the event of a real emergency..." with a long list of things to do, culminating in "Stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye.."

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 03:13:01 am »

Everyone always thinks about the fact those drills would have been pointless at ground zero.  The thing is outside the area of total destruction from an nuclear blast, there would be an even larger area where being under your desk would protect you from falling debris as your building was merely damaged, rather than destroyed.  Unless you grew up in the center of a strategic target (say Manhattan, downtown Washington, DC or a city with a major naval base in its port) the drills really weren't pointless.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 06:22:20 pm »

Well the thing is that it already happened. Strategic bombing... bombing of industrial and residential areas to sap the enemy's capability to make war. I figured that yes, a nuke war would firstly be a preemptive bombing of their strike first capabilities.  But we bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima, two residential cities.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 06:49:49 pm »
In a head-to-head confrontation? Yes I believe we vastly overestimate their military power and fighting capability. Look at their recent skirmishes with India. They didn't do so well.

In terms of strategy and moves on the chess board? We vastly underestimate them and their ability to use non-military tactics to undermine and break us down.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 06:51:24 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 06:52:11 pm »
In a head-to-head confrontation? Yes I believe we vastly overestimate their military power and fighting capability. Look at their recent skirmishes with India. They didn't do so well.

In terms of strategy and moves on the chess board? We vastly underestimate them and their ability to use non-military tactics to undermine and break us down.

:yowsa: Exactly so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 08:33:26 pm »
Well the thing is that it already happened. Strategic bombing... bombing of industrial and residential areas to sap the enemy's capability to make war. I figured that yes, a nuke war would firstly be a preemptive bombing of their strike first capabilities.  But we bombed Nagasaki and Hiroshima, two residential cities.

True. But during WWII the same resources weren't available. All an invading force would have to do in these times to create "shock and awe" is hit the infrastructure and wait a week or two. I will guess that most country's military is heavily dependent on modern, computerized technology as well. I don't know if they could respond.