Author Topic: McConnell’s Retirement Marks The End Of The Disastrous Bush Era  (Read 290 times)

Offline corbe

McConnell’s Retirement Marks The End Of The Disastrous Bush Era

BY: CHRISTOPHER BEDFORD
MARCH 04, 2024

It’s fitting that after four decades in the Senate, Mitch McConnell hopes funding the war in Ukraine will cement his legacy.

Mitch McConnell and his friends are keen to paint the outgoing majority leader as the bookend of the Age of Reagan. Even some of his liberal opponents are happy to repeat the lazy mantra, if only to contrast gooey 1980s nostalgia with the populist conservatism of the new right.

They’d like to remind us how the Kentucky Republican was married on the Gipper’s birthday, but while it can feel nice to reminisce on a young man’s nerdy romance, any serious attempt to understand history’s longest-serving Senate leader needs to focus on the age in which he rose to power: those eight years of Republican rule in the early 2000s. A 42-year-old McConnell may have won his first Senate race at the height of the Reagan years, but by the time he won the mantle of minority leader, those days were gone. More than anything, Mitch McConnell was a Bush Republican.

He’s not alone, in either sense. A good number of the Bush-era alumni like to shroud their doomsaying about the new right in Reagan’s cowl. This makes sense. How hollow would it ring to hear the honest truth, that those Republican elites clashing so violently with the new right represent the Bush wing of the GOP so publicly rejected by their own voters? Few Americans of either party hold much nostalgia about the George W. Bush presidency, and former Rep. Liz Cheney’s headlong charge into obscurity doesn’t quite inspire imitators. Better to draw your authority from a deeper well.

“McConnell departure leaves GOP’s Reagan wing reeling,” the headline at Politico reads.

“Ronald Reagan’s wing of the party is moribund,” one Bloomberg columnist echoed, “and Trumpism has swept past a once formidable — and ruthless — political player.”

“His decision,” the AP reported, “punctuates a powerful ideological transition underway in the Republican Party, from Ronald Reagan’s brand of traditional conservatism and strong international alliances, to the fiery, often isolationist populism of former president Donald Trump.”

<..snip..>

https://thefederalist.com/2024/03/04/mcconnells-retirement-marks-the-end-of-the-disastrous-bush-era/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: McConnell’s Retirement Marks The End Of The Disastrous Bush Era
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:28:34 pm »
MConnell was a 1990s Globalist Free Trade tool who overstayed his welcome.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:46:56 pm »
I can't wait for the disastrous Cornyn reign of error.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:07 pm »
I can't wait for the disastrous Cornyn reign of error.

Not if I can prevent it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien