Author Topic: The Army Is Going All-In on Food Kiosks as Base Dining Facilities Struggle  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army Is Going All-In on Food Kiosks as Base Dining Facilities Struggle

Military.com | By Steve Beynon
Published February 29, 2024 at 1:05 pm

The Army is doubling down on its so-called food kiosks on bases, a small setup in which soldiers can take snacks on the go, but the increased reliance has sparked concerns.

The kiosks are generally designed to serve 1,000 soldiers a day and offer an alternative or a supplemental food source apart from traditional dining facilities. In recent years, the Army has opened 14 of them, and plans to open an additional 13 within the next year, according to the service.

The minimalist food stations are akin to a snack shop at a gas station and are stocked with a basic assortment of chips, small desserts, soda, sushi, fresh fruit and sandwiches. All of that food is sourced from the respective installation's commissary, including its deli. But many options are heavily processed, and soldiers have raised complaints of small portion sizes -- the salad entree, for example, is under 300 calories.

The shift to more food kiosks comes as the Army is struggling with what to do with its dining facilities, which were recently rebranded as "warrior restaurants."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/02/29/army-going-all-food-kiosks-base-dining-facilities-struggle.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Our military get nothing but the finest food.  In fact, it is so good the government would never dream of giving this fine fare to illegal aliens in 5-star hotels.  They're forced to eat hundreds of dollars a day food prepared at the hotels.  The just don't deserve kiosk food. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson