Author Topic: Former US diplomat accused of spying for Cuba indicates he plans to plead guilty, court docket shows  (Read 281 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Former US diplomat accused of spying for Cuba indicates he plans to plead guilty, court docket shows
By Hannah Rabinowitz, CNN
 2 minute read
Published 6:57 PM EST, Thu February 29, 2024

Manuel Rocha, the former US ambassador to Bolivia accused of acting as a secret foreign agent of Cuba, said in court Thursday that he plans to plead guilty to charges, according to his court docket.

Rocha, 73, is charged with several counts, including acting as an illegal agent of a foreign government, wire fraud and making false statements to investigators. Prosecutors have alleged that the former American diplomat acted as a “covert agent of Cuba’s intelligence services” for decades.

During a hearing in Miami Thursday, Rocha and prosecutors “announce[d] the Defendant will be changing his plea,” according to the court docket. Rocha pleaded not guilty earlier this month.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/29/politics/manuel-rocha-us-ambassador-guilty-plea/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
He'll probably be "Bidened", and not face jail time because he's too old. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Former US ambassador, NSC official admits to acting as secret agent for Cuba, learns fate: DOJ
Victor Manuel Rocha, 73, pleaded guilty Friday to acting as a secret agent for communist Cuba for decades
By Stepheny Price Fox News
Published April 12, 2024 9:09pm EDT
A former U.S. ambassador to Bolivia and a National Security Council member pleaded guilty on Friday to secretly acting for decades as an agent of the government of the Republic of Cuba, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

A federal judge sentenced Victor Manuel Rocha, 73, of Miami, to 15 years in prison for working against the U.S. government for decades for communist Cuba in "clandestine intelligence-gathering missions."

"Today’s plea and sentencing brings to an end more than four decades of betrayal and deceit by the defendant," said Assistant Attorney General Matthew G. Olsen of the DOJ's National Security Division. "Rocha admitted to acting as an agent of the Cuban government at the same time he held numerous positions of trust in the U.S. government, a staggering betrayal of the American people and an acknowledgment that every oath he took to the United States was a lie." ...
More at FOX News
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org