Author Topic: The Long, Horrifying Collapse of Discipline in NYC Public Schools  (Read 356 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 3, 2024
The Long, Horrifying Collapse of Discipline in NYC Public Schools
By E. Jeffrey Ludwig

The New York Post recently ran an article about overt aggression in a school called Origins High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. against a Jewish female teacher as well as threats to Jewish students at the school.  The high school has 40% Muslim students, and the swastika is being posted around the school to send a message of hate to Jewish students and faculty.  Threats are being made daily.  Homosexual students are also being threatened at the school.  Students are not being punished by the acting principal for defacing property with swastikas or for shouting “heil Hitler” in the Jewish teacher’s face.  By the end of the article, we see that the principal, who is depicted by the harassed teacher and by community leaders as negligent and as perpetuating anti-Semitism by her failure to call students to account, has received many compliments and much recognition for her leadership as an educator.

How is it that she is so praised for her “leadership” while the horrors of anti-Semitism and pro-Nazi acting out grow exponentially in that high school?  The answer lies in the breakdown of discipline in the NYC public schools, which breakdown has been in place for decades.  Principals are rewarded for their ability to maintain irresponsible levels of poor behavior while pretending education is moving ever upward to the benefit of all involved.  In this respect, Origins High School, along with so many schools in NYC, is putting on a big charade pretending that order is still in effect and that learning (sic) is still improving.  To the extent that a principal projects this false view, he is deemed “successful.”

This writer taught social studies for 21 years in NYC public high schools, and substituted occasionally for two years before that full-time tenure.  My first five and a half years were taught in a “hellhole high school.”  Some of the behaviors that are included under my “hellhole” rubric are as follows: students taking 10–20 minutes to pass between classes, toilet seats set on fire using fluid from lighters; students slashed with razors while changing classes, with the razors then thrown out the windows; weapons being brought into school even after metal detectors and electronic wanding of students was implemented; and oral sex in stairwells.  One student asked me if I wanted to see the Glock in his bookbag.

I asked one student to stop chasing Tameka around the room and take his seat so I could begin the lesson.  He was so incensed by this request that he began scraping the veneer off the top of his desk with his fingernails.  Security was called eventually, and he was removed from the class.  A 10th-grade girl, who I later was told was regularly taking drugs with her friends, went over to the window, lifted it up, and jumped out.  We were on the first floor, but it still was an eight- to ten-foot drop.  One day she introduced me to a grinning guy who, she said, was the father of a baby she had aborted two years previously.  On another occasion, during a social studies computer lab session set up by a teacher and his cousin, who had come in on a few weekends to do the wiring, students were pouring crazy glue into some of the keyboards.  The teacher did not even send the students to the dean, knowing that no punishment would be administered.  On one occasion, I gently told one girl to move her cursor a little to the left, and she stood up suddenly, tipping over her chair; yelled, “F--- you!” to me; and stormed out of the room.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/03/the_long_horrifying_collapse_of_discipline_in_nyc_public_schools.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: The Long, Horrifying Collapse of Discipline in NYC Public Schools
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 04:36:44 pm »
Discipline is supposed to start at home.
In my experience, schools enforce appropriate behavior in order to teach, not supplant that which is missing from home.
And of course it doesn't help that administrators and local gov't don't give a damn either.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 10:38:44 pm »
Good luck when no one wants to be a teacher anymore. I doubt these children's parents are fit or qualified to home school them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 10:40:51 pm »
Meanwhile, near Boston:
Students at America’s most violent high school are organizing fight clubs while teachers look the other way
By Alex Oliveira
Published March 3, 2024, 1:25 p.m. ET

Students at one of America’s most violent high schools — where administrators begged for the National Guard to help reign in campus chaos — are organizing fight clubs, The Post has learned.

Meanwhile, overwhelmed teachers at Brockton High School, 25 miles south of Boston, are turning a blind eye to the violence out of fear for their own safety after multiple staffers were brutally beaten while trying to stop fights.

“Out of boredom the kids are setting up fights between two individuals, and they’re setting up a location for them to fight, and everybody’s going to watch it,” said Jamal Gooding, a Brockton, Mass., activist who has been speaking with parents and students since the beleaguered school made headlines earlier in February.

Gooding told The Post that those fights are sparking even more violence in the hallways — and risk turning deadly. ...
https://nypost.com/2024/03/03/us-news/brockton-high-students-organize-fight-clubs-at-mass-school/
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 10:51:02 pm »
Let them beat themselves silly or kill each other.  Survival of the fittest.  Its Lord of the fly's time folks.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 11:10:53 pm »
Scott Adams' quip about a certain ethnic group is also very appropriate for the public schools in many (most?) places in America:

There is a "solution":
DON'T send kids to the public schools.

Private, parochial, perhaps small home-school groups, even the old southern "segregation academies" can do the task much better.

If you want kids to get a "traditional-minded" education, send them to some "hateful" school that still teaches from a perspective of "Western Civilization"...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 01:20:43 am »
1970. Race riots in my high school. If a black student crossed the line, and the White Principal did anything about it, it was racism and heated things up even more. After the black kids did what they did, the white kids said "I have equal rights, too".

Mayhem ensued. State police walking the halls with K-9 dogs, locker searches, bomb threats, all but two entrances to the school chained and locked shut (1200 students) in violation of fire codes...
What's old is new, improved, with metal detectors...

When I got a chance to attend a private school, I jumped at it, and it saved me academically.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis