Author Topic: Immigrant backlog projected to hit record-high 8 million by October: Report  (Read 134 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Immigrant backlog projected to hit record-high 8 million by October: Report
By
Cami Mondeaux
March 2, 2024 11:40 am
The number of migrants living in the United States awaiting asylum cases could reportedly surpass 8 million by the end of September, marking a record-high amid a surge of illegal immigration at the southern border.

More than 8 million asylum-seekers are projected to be living in the country awaiting legal decisions and enforcement on whether they can stay or will be deported, according to internal government documents given to Congress that were obtained by Axios. The projection is far above the 3 million migrants who were in the same holding pattern in 2019, and it’s roughly a 167% increase over the last five years, according to the outlet.

More than 6 million people were already listed on the so-called “non-detained docket” at the end of fiscal year 2023, with that number expected to increase by at least 2 million in the next seven months. Those numbers include migrants who have been ordered to be deported or are awaiting final decisions for their asylum status but aren’t being held in government detention. Immigration and Customs Enforcement only has 40,000 detention beds.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/immigration/2899945/immigrant-backlog-projected-to-hit-record-high-8-million-by-october-report/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:18:47 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson