Author Topic: Below 31? Will The Marine Corps Have Enough Amphibious Assault Ships?  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Below 31? Will The Marine Corps Have Enough Amphibious Assault Ships?
Congress has mandated that the Navy and Marine Corps maintain a total of at least 31 amphibious assault ships

by Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

Launching 5th-generation stealth air attack, controlling groups of surface, air and undersea drones, transporting Marines for fast air and surface attack missions and conducting massive, full-scale amphibious warfare campaigns … are just a few reasons why the Navy and Marine Corps Combatant Commanders consistently request amphibious assault ships.

The 2024 Defense Bill has been passed by Congress, and the legislation does fund some now-in-development amphibious assault ships, however the appropriations committees are now tasked with allocating the dollars necessary to build the ships.

Priorities for the Corps include ongoing construction and development of the next-two critical America-class amphibious assault ships, called LHA 9 and LHA 10 as well as critical funding for Amphibious Transport Dock LPD 33. The first three America-class amphibs, a next-generation platform capable of transporting as many as 20 F-35Bs, are built .. and the service is surging ahead with plans to build the next two. and ship-builders are waiting for Congressional appropriations to approve and release portions of the funds.

https://warriormaven.com/sea/below-31-will-the-marine-corps-have-enough-amphibious-assault-ships
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Below 31? Will The Marine Corps Have Enough Amphibious Assault Ships?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 02:10:02 pm »
Will they have enough bodies to man those ships?  My guess is before long we'll see they "don't need" 31 and quietly lower their recruiting goals at the same time. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson