Author Topic: Pentagon To Lift Ban on V-22 Osprey Flights, 3 Months After Fatal Crash in Japan  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon To Lift Ban on V-22 Osprey Flights, 3 Months After Fatal Crash in Japan

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon will lift the ban on flights by the grounded V-22 Osprey next week, U.S. officials told The Associated Press on Friday, following a high-level meeting where Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin endorsed the military services’ plans for a safe and measured return to operations.

The officials said that Naval Air Systems Command, which grounded the controversial tilt-rotor aircraft about three months ago, will lift it and allow the services to begin implementing their plans to get the Osprey back into the air. Austin met with the top service leaders, including for the Navy and Air Force, on Friday morning, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss plans not yet made public.

The Osprey has been grounded for almost three months following a Nov. 29 Air Force Special Operations Command crash in Japan that killed eight service members. The Japan incident and an earlier August Osprey crash in Australia that killed three Marines are both still under investigation. The Air Force has said that it has identified what failed in the Japan crash, even though it does not know yet why it failed.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/03/02/pentagon_to_lift_ban_on_v-22_osprey_flights_3_months_after_fatal_crash_in_japan_1015585.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Air Force has said that it has identified what failed in the Japan crash, even though it does not know yet why it failed.

I think putting them back in service without identifying the true cause of the crash is just military genius. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson