Author Topic: In Senegal's capital, Nicaragua is a hot ticket among travel agents as migrants try to reach US  (Read 325 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 In Senegal's capital, Nicaragua is a hot ticket among travel agents as migrants try to reach US
Story by BABA AHMED, Associated Press • 7h

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Gueva Ba tried to reach Europe by boat 11 times from Morocco, failing each attempt. Then, in 2023, the former welder heard about a new route to the United States by flying to Nicaragua and making the rest of the journey illegally by land to Mexico's northern border.

“In Senegal, it’s all over the streets — everyone’s talking about Nicaragua, Nicaragua, Nicaragua," said Ba, who paid about 6 million CFA francs ($10,000) to get to Nicaragua in July with stops in Morocco, Spain and El Salvador. “It’s not something hidden.”

Ba, 40, was deported from the U.S. with 131 compatriots in September after two months in detention, but thousands of other Senegalese have gained a foothold in America. Many turn to savvy travel agents who know the route — touted on social media by those who've successfully settled in the U.S.

They are part of a surge in migration to the United States that is extraordinary for its size and scope, with more people from far-flung countries accounting for crossings at the border. And as with this route used by the Senegalese, more are figuring out plans, making payments, and seeking help via social networks, and apps like WhatsApp and TikTok.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/in-senegal-s-capital-nicaragua-is-a-hot-ticket-among-travel-agents-as-migrants-try-to-reach-us/ar-BB1jcMCf?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=4de391ce392941a7883e1a2102cbd3b9&ei=14
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Half of the world "out there" wants to come HERE.

And if we don't stop them... they will.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Half of the world "out there" wants to come HERE.

Why?  To hear liberals tell it, this is the worst place in the world. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Senegalese migrants illegally crossing US border relying on TikTok, WhatsApp to plan out their journeys
By Social Links forRich Calder
Published March 2, 2024, 5:05 p.m. ET

Senegalese migrants are illegally crossing the border in waves with many relying on apps like TikTok and WhatsApp to plan their journeys to the United States through Nicaragua.

U.S. authorities arrested Senegalese migrants 20,231 times for crossing the border illegally from July to December. That’s 10 times higher than 2,049 arrests during the same period of 2022, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Many cross in remote deserts of western Arizona and California.

Word of the Nicaragua route began spreading early last year in Sengal’s capital city of Dakar and took hold in May, according to travel agent Abdoulaye Doucouré.

He said sold about 1,200 tickets from Dakar to Nicaragua in the last three months of 2023 at around several thousand dollars each.

“People didn’t know about this route, but with social networks and the first migrants who took this route, the information quickly circulated among migrants,” he told The Associated Press.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/02/world-news/senegalese-migrants-illegally-crossing-us-border-relying-on-tiktok-whatsapp-to-plan-out-their-journeys/
Thomas Jefferson