Author Topic: The future of disinformation — this time in Mississippi  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The future of disinformation — this time in Mississippi
« on: March 01, 2024, 02:44:04 pm »
The future of disinformation — this time in Mississippi
By MOHAR CHATTERJEE  02/20/2024 05:32 PM EST Updated 02/21/2024 11:56 AM EST

One of the strangest glimpses into the future of information warfare might be what’s happening in Jackson, Miss., where a man named Ramzu Yunus is trying to launch an independent nation for people of African descent on Facebook.

His secessionist movement — while very local and very fringe — already has the backing of an intricate, global cross-platform propaganda network called the Russophere.

Last year, Yunus tried to drum up support for a similar separatist movement in Detroit, and has touted support from Russia on his Facebook page. In Texas, a different Russian influence campaign is amplifying calls for a “Texas secession” and an imminent “civil war” over the border crisis.

What might seem from the outside like an eccentric group of grassroots campaigns is a new front for a global pro-Russia disinformation operation — one that extends to the developing world as well, according to a new report by UK-based AI intelligence group Logically.

Logically’s researchers, who specialize in tracking disinformation networks across social media platforms like Telegram and Facebook, say these online campaigns follow a pattern they’ve seen in Africa, where the Kremlin is stoking anti-colonial sentiment against Western powers.

Nick Backovic, one of the report’s lead researchers, said Yunus’ blatant pro-Russia claims and focus on reaching untapped U.S. audiences with anti-West messaging is an “easily replicable framework” that could “snowball” and potentially destabilize populations across the country.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/digital-future-daily/2024/02/20/the-future-of-disinformation-this-time-in-mississippi-00142297
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: The future of disinformation — this time in Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 02:53:10 pm »
Politico has resigned itself to turning over rocks in desperate paranoia to flesh out insidious and nefarious bourgeoisie right wing capitalist pig conspiracies by a guy who probably lives in a shack in the woods and has 25 hard core followers.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The future of disinformation — this time in Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 03:13:03 pm »
It would seem Politico isn't real high on your sources of information. 000hehehehe
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson